Question Touchpad cursor behaves erratically only when clicking

gooball60

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
I have an Alienware 15 R4 running Windows 10. The latest version of the Synaptics touchpad driver is installed (version 19.5.17.5).

My touchpad usually operates fine, but I've found that whenever I click either the left or right buttons (not tapping), my cursor movement seems to become more erratic and jumps around at even the slightest movements. Once I release the click, the effect remains for maybe a second and then returns to normal. This wasn't an issue with older versions of the driver. I'm thinking there might be some obscure registry value I have to change (I've fixed touchpad problems before this way), but I've had no luck so far, any tips would be appreciated.

I would suggest rolling back to the prior driver and see if the issue is resolved. If it is the driver, then you should be good. Having a new driver immediately isn't always needed. Additionally if you chose to install the driver rather than Windows telling you it was installing it, that can also be the issue. Not all new drivers are for all devices.

gooball60

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
Well, unfortunately that older driver seems to have introduced a different problem. It appears to randomly lock up other things when pressing keys on my keyboard (most notable when playing games). For instance, if I press the E key, my touchpad and keyboard will lock up and my sound will stop until I release the E key again (sometimes the key I pressed will stop working for a awhile after). Going back to the newest driver (with the erratic clicking) fixes this problem. It seems like either way I'm stuck with some sort of crippling issue (how does this sort of thing get released to the public?).

That doesn't sound like a driver problem. That sounds like something that shouldn't be on the computer is. Virus, malware, bad program, etc. I would check for those.

You may also want to try doing a "System Restore" to a restore date prior to the start of the problem.

gooball60

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
Well, the locking up issue only happens when the older version of the touchpad driver is installed, so I would assume that problem is specific to that driver version. I'm going back to the new version since the jumping cursor is more tolerable. Also, this problem has been present since I got the laptop.

Well if it has done this basically always (you didn't mention that before) then it may just be a flaw in the design. Another way you can check it out is to try loading in "Safe Mode" and see if the problem occurs in there. If it is software related then it won't happen in there.

gooball60

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
The problem still persists even in safe mode. However, an old Microsoft driver from 2006 doesn't have the issue (though it also lacks basic touchpad functions such as two finger scrolling, etc.)

gooball60

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
Would it be possible to contact someone at Synaptics who could potentially fix the problem? The problem seems to be from their driver, and it doesn't seem to be fixable.