Touchpad removal question for wooden laptop

Jedipadawan

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
First- background:

OK, here's an interesting project. I am trying to build a wooden laptop! Balsa wood to be exact.

Now, I have little hardware experience. It's just that my old MSI netbooks - a u135DX by name with single core atom n455 - broke. Well, the case has cracked and one of the screen hinges was too loose for the machine to be usable. But the electronics were/are all sound including the battery.
And it just so happens that my father-in-law is a carpenter! Well, it's taken me a long time to get the work started by the laptop has been disassembled and the case handed to the man in question to rebuild in wood.

However… the touchpad is firmly affixed to the casing. I am loath to just fear it off but when I go looking for replacement MSI U135DX touchpads… they come with the casing.

I don't know if I can or should remove the touchpad or buy in a replacement. Trouble is that I live in Indonesia and ordering a replacement may take months to arrive. Unless I can buy generic at the locla hitech mall?

Dunno what to do here. Any advice?

Thanks in advance. I think I have everything else covered but will take tips and advice. I have never taken a laptop apart or put one back together before! But this was too good a chance to miss!

It's a fascinating project but my main concern would be keeping the system cool. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with that. I've built PCs into old pieces of furniture in the last but there's always been plenty of breathing space. Even so, overheating has always been an issue and I've had to add fans to extract the heat because the wood seems to want to keep it.

As to the trackpad, mice are so much easier to work with.

Jedipadawan

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016

Thanks Sage Lord. I'll query the issue of heat to the man in question. He has literally only just begun so I can ask him to add depth to the base to keep the machine cool. I don't mind the machine looking a little 'clunky.' And, this is a single core Atom!!!

In regards to the touchpad, yes, mice are much nicer but I still need portability or I would have gone desktop. So I need the touchpad even if I can minimise on its use. So I still need advice on this.

I will check into the heat issue.

Jedipadawan

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016

Thanks. I get your point.

I have a little time off on Thursday ad I am informed MSI operate at the local high tech mall. You don't buy online here. Nor do you buy from the local high street retailer. Everything regarding computers is in one Mall!!! But you have everything there. But my hours are antisocial and six days a week. (Which is why I will be setting up myself in the new year.) Thus, I didn;t know if I could make it to the Mall until today. Yeah, I have no control over my schedule either.

So I will go checking if I an get a suitable touchpad *first!* Then I'll go dremel if I have to.

Thanks.

Er, anyone any thoughts on grounding on a wooden case? Is this an issue with the MSI U135dx MB?
And I'll take any advice on heat. Fortunately the MSI U15dx's original plastic case was not slimline in the first place and we can drill holes anywhere and everywhere. But I don't see how I could add another fan unless someone can advise?

Desktops I have built before but I am wading out into the unknown on a laptop here! But this kind of chance happens but once a lifetime!

Thanks again!

Jedipadawan

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
Duh! Father-in-law has a dremel and (really!) knows how to use it!

So that's that sorted! Though I will hunt down good thermal paste at the local hi tech mall.

I have created a more general thread for questions on heat and grounding and any other advice.

Many thanks indeed! This has been most helpful.