Touchscreen Cell Phones Are Really, Really Dirty

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
All cellphones are dirty. As are keyboards/mice and anything else your fingers are deeply intimate with. Cleaning with alcohol regularly is advised.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]the problem is humans are getting weaker and weaker these days. big thanks to over acting "stupid/moron" parents who just over product their child and their elderly parents. OMG ITS FLU RUN FOR YOUR LIVESSsssss! Im very against taking any kind of Anti-biotic or any flu shots or whatsoever. the only shots I took are life threating ones like lockjaw (tenets whatever u call that), cowpox(for small pox), and Hep B.[/citation]
Why does it matter if you get, say, the flu from an injection (vaccine) or from someone else? Either way your body fights it off naturally and develops the same immunity.

As for cell phones, Nobody wants to hear you taking a crap in the toilet, especially your significant other. If you don't mind then there's something wrong with you upstairs.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I have never worried about bacteria, and never will :) I also get sick about ONCE a year and it's not the flu. It's usually around the transition from summer to fall.

When will people learn that we actually NEED some outside bacteria to keep ourselves healthy? What's an immune system for anyway?

The fact is: if your body isn't taking in ANY bacteria, how will your body know what to fight off if it's introduced to mass amounts of bacteria later?

I kind of shake my head in laughter at every person I see having hand sanitizer on their keys or on the outside of their purse/backpack. But I get it :) Washing your hands after using the bathroom and before touching food is more than sufficient to keep you healthy :)

Also, using too much "anti-bacterial" products actually has an opposite effect because your body is so used used to it, and the bacteria lives regardless how much hand sanitizer you use.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]I have never worried about bacteria, and never will I also get sick about ONCE a year and it's not the flu. It's usually around the transition from summer to fall.[/citation]

Same thing with me. I get sick about once a year, maybe twice. Now, I do get infections in my fingernails from biting them every so often, but I don't count that as actually getting sick.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]OMG you mean..... The world is a dirty place?! Really, who cares. Everything is covered in Bacteria, etc because thats life. Our body contains nearly 10x more bacteria than our actual cells! But this is a Symbiotic relationship, without bacteria we'd be dead. This is why we have immune systems, and all other defensese... To get hogwild and wash and disinfect EVERYTHING multiple times a day because you're afraid you're actually going to cause more trouble than harm over time.[/citation]

Not McDonalds Burgers. Those things are as sterile as a ball of plasma.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]Interesting how they say toilet "handle" and not the toilet itself, why would a handle be that dirty again?[/citation]

People generally use their hands to clean themselves and direct flow. they then use those same hands to flush the toilet.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
This is the reason everybody is sick. No, not because of dirty cellphones. Because everybody is so afraid of germs, and so obsessed with anti-bacterial products, that our immune systems are depleting. I never use sanitizer/anti-bacterial crap, don't even always wash my hands, and I very rarely get sick. Just sayin'.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Does this apply to touch screen phones only? You touch your non-touchscreen phone's keypad just as much when using it. I don't see how touch screen phones catch more germs. Maybe they should start selling germicidal screen protectors too. Damn, I just gave them a stupid idea.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]FFS, toughen up people. We are humans, we live in the world, not in bubbles.We seem to have survived this far pretty damn well without flu shots or hand sanitizer. Im sure we can survive a dirty phone.We survived as cave men, eating and sleeping in our own filth. Our immune systems are like our bodies. Train them well and they will be tough as nails. Wrap them in cotton wool and they will fall over in a stiff breeze.[/citation]
Are you just dense on purpose or are you really that ignorant?
Cave men did not life very long (somewhere around 30 years). Also they did not life in their own waste as you say. They had systems set up and didnt s*!& where they slept. The reason for our 70+ life spans today is because of all the medicine and vaccines we have. Also our immune system is built up from the shots you get, like the flu shot. It gives your body a small enough dose to not actually get you sick but enough for your immune system to learn the strand and be able to fight it off later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS