Town in Massachusetts Holding Drive to Reward Children for Returning Violent Ent

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I hope they do that here, I have a few really old games I'd gladly trade in for less homework.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
The bulk of commenters must think that most people are as big an idiot as they themselves are. How could it be that just because something else might be a bigger problem or issue (parenting, actual firearms), that addressing a lesser issue is pointless or dumb. I can guarantee that less violent video games will be played by those households that do not own them than ones that do. How could it hurt? The reality is that spoiled brats (and I mean the adult commenters) just want their vices and threaten anyone who interferes with them. Looks like violent behavior to me.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Funny how all the liberal states/cities are trying to one up each other: NYC w/ their "stricter gun laws" (like that would have stopped any of the shootings), and MA w/ their violent games kick.

It's always been a mental health issue and psychotropic issue...a good number of mass shootings would have been prevented if kids weren't given psychotropic (aka "makes you crazy") anti-depressants or people who were nuts were properly identified.
Today's sad effort from Biden/Obama won't do anything because it doesn't address the behavioral problem...there will just be more violence to come...and they'll pass more laws that do nothing while passing bills that guarantee themselves free armed security for themselves and their families for life at taxpayer expense :p

G

Lampora, can you cite the research you either conducted yourself, and subsequently had peer-reviewed, or found, which positively supports causality between violent video games and violent crime?

I'd love to see it.
Nice red herring, btw. You must think we're all idiots ; ]

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]TeholTheIdiot[/nom]Lampora, can you cite the research you either conducted yourself, and subsequently had peer-reviewed, or found, which positively supports causality between violent video games and violent crime?I'd love to see it. Nice red herring, btw. You must think we're all idiots ; ][/citation]
You have it backward. Simple knowledge of being a human being (or any primate, or even animal in general) allows you to know that practiced behavior has general effects. What you are looking for is a peer-reviewed study which supports no connection between violent video games and an increase in violent behavior. What you want is something convenient for you. What society in general needs is something else. It's obvious you have fanatical behavior on this issue already. It's not as though anyone is banning violent video games. They are just choosing to make available an option to reduce their use. If this gets you very worried, then you may want to look at the issue within yourself.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]You have it backward. Simple knowledge of being a human being (or any primate, or even animal in general) allows you to know that practiced behavior has general effects. What you are looking for is a peer-reviewed study which supports no connection between violent video games and an increase in violent behavior. What you want is something convenient for you. What society in general needs is something else. It's obvious you have fanatical behavior on this issue already. It's not as though anyone is banning violent video games. They are just choosing to make available an option to reduce their use. If this gets you very worried, then you may want to look at the issue within yourself.[/citation]

Right, just ignore the dozens of studies that have shown the opposite, and even ignore that fact that violent crime is DOWN in youth and has been going DOWN for a while now.

Hmm odd that video games are getting more popular and yet so is the violent crime rate in youth.

Opps!

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
"This program, called New Year –New Direction, calls for residents to get rid of violent media in exchange for coupons to local business and "get out of homework free" coupons to motivate kids."

Why not call it the Operation Dumb Down Kids. You don't have to do homework and learn something, you don't have to play games where you solve puzzles. Nice.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
And how many of these adults pushing turning in the violent video games support abortion on demand, the throwing of babies into closets to allow them to die if they were born alive after surviving an abortion attempt which Obama as an Illinois state senator supported, and how may support giving the elderly just a pill instead of costly medical procedures which Obama has said is what should be done.

Once again the knee jerk reaction is to cover up the symptoms. Violent video games nor guns cause people to want to kill. We as a society of devalued life and it's now showing. Violent video games exist because of the problem, they are not a root cause of it. Until society is willing to face up to the real causes, then these things will only get worse.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Ever noticed that mass shootings have one thing in common - perp was crazy.

Why don't we do something about those crazy people? Like report them so they are under watch or therapy? Oh wait...that would violate their "privacy."

Crazy murderers enjoy all the protection of the law while law abiding gun owners get all the blame. This society is so fucked up.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Right, just ignore the dozens of studies that have shown the opposite, and even ignore that fact that violent crime is DOWN in youth and has been going DOWN for a while now.Hmm odd that video games are getting more popular and yet so is the violent crime rate in youth. Opps![/citation]
Also odd that idiots such as you are becoming significantly more dense. Pun intended.

G

In the 80's teen suicides were blamed on Heavy Metal, i.e. Ozzy and Judas Priest... I listened to both and am still walking the earth, nearly 30 years later. Nice theory Mr and Mrs Gore!

Video games are now the scapegoat for people and yes kids with issues and poor coping skills. How r-tarded and diversionary from the real issues.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Violent video games have never made me go out and perform a fatality or finish anyone with a super ultra combo. I've never scored a headshot while chasing someone jumping around in a low-G subdivision. Hate the game, not the player.

Draconian

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
"...because logistically, the rewards program would be a nightmare to fulfill."

Pretty much. People would bring in old old video games worth only a few dollars and get a $25 gift card in exchange.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Nothing says contemporary America like substituting a real problem for an easier target, because the real issue can't be fixed with a few soundbites and the leftover pennies not spent during the election.

What America forgets is that these games are being shipped all over the world so if games are the problem why doesn't England (for instance) have this same issue? What they do have is good mental health services and tight gun control.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Ever noticed that mass shootings have one thing in common - perp was crazy.[/citation]
Well, close. There are actually 2 things in common. Being 'crazy', as you mentioned, and, of course, having a gun, or, in most cases, multiple guns with large capacity magazines. How did you miss that one? Nraitis?

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]eiskrystal[/nom]Nothing says contemporary America like substituting a real problem for an easier target, because the real issue can't be fixed with a few soundbites and the leftover pennies not spent during the election.[/citation]
Nothing says contemporary America like refusing to address a significant issue by saying it is less important than some other issue and trying to get everyone to give up on even bothering to touch it in any way because it happens to be a personal favorite vice..

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]vacavalier[/nom]In the 80's teen suicides were blamed on Heavy Metal, i.e. Ozzy and Judas Priest... I listened to both and am still walking the earth, nearly 30 years later. Nice theory Mr and Mrs Gore![/citation]
This only happened to a small fraction of people (It seems you weren't one of them). You didn't get the memo on that? I'll bet if it was your brother or child you'd have a different opinion.

The issue here is not that video games poison everyone, it's what might help. Doing nothing is guaranteed not to help (and it's lame).

Status
Not open for further replies.