Toyota Testing Joystick Control for Cars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I don't like the idea... at all. You hit a bump in the road and your friend drops his drink. It hits your hand and your car tries to turn 90 degrees at 45 mph. It's far too easy to make a mistake with a joystick since there's less room for error. With a steering wheel, even the slightest turns require a "big" movement of a few inches. With a joystick it would be quarter-inches.

And that's not even taking into account the fact everyone would need to re-learn how to drive.

c0r3f1ght3r

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]It would be better if the accelerator and directional controls were split among two control sticks (more like an aircraft).I'd have to try it to say something about it. It's hard to think something would replace the wheel...but then again, the automatic transmission has practically replaced the manual one. It's not as an extreme shift as going from a wheel to a stick, but just an example.[/citation]
pfff I still drive sticks. automatic is just for noobs...

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Here is the scenario:

You are driving down the highway. Your hand itches. You itch it, and when you itch it you let go of the joystick. If those joysticks are anything like computer joysticks that have springs or something to make it stay straight up, the joystick could fly backward, slowing th car down. The car behind you rear-ends you.

Game over.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Hands up those who used a joystick for Gran Turismo.................
My point exactly!! Should swap the joystick for an analogue gamepad

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Should be able to lock your brakes on the highway without the car behind hitting you. If they hit you then they weren't leaving enough distance.

Since this is DBW; presumably the computer would override if you tried to turn 90deg whilst travelling at high speed. Same as a DBW accelerator can over ride going WOT if the engine is cold. Now personally I don't like the idea of a computer overriding my driving decisions, but then I don't like autos either and plenty of other people do.

You are definitely complicating things though. I mean look at Honda's early mechanical 4WS vs. their later computer controlled systems. The mechanical was simple and pretty much bullet proof, where as the later is pretty much dead weight.

The real advantage is space so I would think we will see this in small electric only city cars where the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. No need in a large sedan or sports car.

G

they should try playing need for speed using joystick...it sucks...really

BartG

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
wtf, whats the big deal, elec wheel chairs move about just fine, so why wouldnt the Ireal. The only reason why people wouldnt like this, is because since early 1900 we have grown used to the pedal and steering wheel concept...

There might be some good use for this, and with the smart people making it, there wont be any bad draw backs.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
There are a number of vehicles that are already fly-by-wire or fly-by-hydraulics steering and it is just a matter of replacing the control mechanism at the driver end. These do have a mechanical back-up that engages if whatever servo system being used goes down though for safety and you'd have to come up with a way to manage this in case of a power failure of some sort. Maybe a fold-in wheel system that would deploy if the electronic system crashed could be added.

Learning how much or how little to move to accomplish a particular tightness of turn would be quiet difficult for many. Adding in not accidentally accelerating or decelerating would make it potentially very hazardous so you definitely would want to separate the controls. I have a feeling that the learning curve for using this system would be significant for a lot of people - especially older ones.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Going at speeds and trying to keep the car straight or turning a long turn with a joystick just isn't that great. With the wheel, if you hold it like intended meaning with 2 hands, you have optimum control of the car's direction. Something you cannot do with a joystick.

Rudders or joystick are usefull when they are in use already, like airplanes and boats, because your inputs are into a fluid dynamic which buffers the inputs. When we're talking cars, we're in direct contact with a solid object, every little twitch of the wrists will cause the car to jerk. You can numb that by software, but what if you want the twitch? Wheels enable you to have balance on both sides because your arms are equally giving pressure on each side.

I don't think we have any reason to change the current wheel unless we can find a same or better balancing of inputs.

Someguyperson

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
What about all of the paraplegics and people who have amputated limbs? A steering wheel just doesn't work in those circumstances. Even though the majority of people wouldn't need it, it's good that Toyota is making this technology more affordable and just better in general for the few who need it.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
hell, its about time.

wheels/pedals suck as most infants know. its only when you grow up you get used to the archaic idea of wheel and pedals. good riddance.

Status
Not open for further replies.