Toyota's First Hydrogen Car to Cost $50,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Maybe the company with a tarnished safety image should have announced this sooner for good PR.

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I'll wait until the technology become cheap and more reliable then i'll consider buying it. In the mean time i'll continued to drive by 2.4L car.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
kinda funny, guess where the hydrogen fuel comes from?
petroleum!
I don't want to sound like one of those fanatic trolls, but imo no one should look forward to paying for this vehicle, no matter how safe Toyota makes it.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Two years ago they said 2010. Now they say 2015. As long as oil companies are as rich as they are i don't think its comin soon

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]kinda funny, guess where the hydrogen fuel comes from?petroleum!I don't want to sound like one of those fanatic trolls, but imo no one should look forward to paying for this vehicle, no matter how safe Toyota makes it.[/citation]

Troll.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
kinda funny, guess where the hydrogen fuel comes from?
petroleum!

might wanna check your facts on stating where hydrogen comes from, as its not just from petroleum... mixing water and baking soda makes hydrogen..

Hydrogen is basically in everything plants, water, air..ect, so its very very abundant

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
hydrogen cars are a failed technology and a scam, the means in which to produce the fuel which was mentioned above is that fossil fuels are used to manufacture it. I thought the whole point of hydrogen fuels was to get us off gasoline? If we do end up with a viable alternative to gas, it will be electric.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
also... forgot to make my own comment on the car... i personnally am not one of those do all i can to save the enviroment ppl..(sorry), so i cant justify buying a car thats initial price is 25k over the equivalent in a gas vehicle.

Therefor regardless of how much u would ever save on gas, u spent more at the start and lose overall.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]kinda funny, guess where the hydrogen fuel comes from?petroleum!I don't want to sound like one of those fanatic trolls, but imo no one should look forward to paying for this vehicle, no matter how safe Toyota makes it.[/citation]

Kinda funny where hydrogen REALLY comes from: dividing water molecules. You know, water, that thing that makes up 70% of Earth's surface and a good chunk of the very air you breathe. And the by product of the hydrogen car? Water. So yeah, it's pretty much a renewable energy source provided you use solar energy or something like that to split the water in the first place.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

Doh! Science failure.... I think you have hydrocarbons and hydrogen confused.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
just what we need a stuck gas pedal and a hydrogen explosion

Last comment... acck.. the chances of a hydrogen explosion is very slim, hydrogen is so much lighter than air that it would rise out before ever exploding.

The only way it could explode is if the container holding it was heated to insane temps while keeping the hydrogen sealed...
i forget exactly how the car makes its hydrogen without re reading info on it, but im pretty sure the tech on how it works makes it pretty hard to occur anyway

http://www.thesupertroopers.com/AER/about/fuelcell.jpg for a diagram of how it works

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]what does it mean by "Some extra cost" ?!What is fuel more expensive for it or is maintenance expensive?[/citation]
Yes the fuel is way more expensive than gasoline and its only available at filling stations in southern california and possibly washington dc... anyone taking guesses there as to why? lol

[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Kinda funny where hydrogen REALLY comes from: dividing water molecules. You know, water, that thing that makes up 70% of Earth's surface and a good chunk of the very air you breathe. And the by product of the hydrogen car? Water. So yeah, it's pretty much a renewable energy source provided you use solar energy or something like that to split the water in the first place.[/citation]

Actually no Krasno they get the bulk of the commercial hydrogen from natural gas. More hydrogen molecules in it than in water and the molecules are easier to break apart. And no they dont use solar energy to split the molecules it takes a LOT of energy to make commercial hydrogen and unless youre talking megawatts of solar it aint happening so you can put that pipe dream away.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]kinda funny, guess where the hydrogen fuel comes from?petroleum![/citation]

Lol, fail. Petroleum produces Hydrocarbons, not Hydrogen.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]More hydrogen molecules in it than in water and the molecules are easier to break apart.[/citation]

LOL what??? So there is more hydrogen in natural gas then the 66% that comprises water???

A quick search on Google shows just how wrong this is... .002% of natural gas is hydrogen, in other words trace amounts, almost nothing.

http://www.uniongas.com/aboutus/aboutng/composition.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.