TPB: The Delusional Recording Industry Must Be Stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
On one hand, I understand the recording industry's anger. It's like Valve watching a major website copy all of their non-free games and uploading them for free, including L4D2, and not being able to do anything about it.

On the other hand, bullying never works, especially when everyone are watching.

G

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]It's like Valve watching a major website copy all of their non-free games and uploading them for free, including L4D2, and not being able to do anything about it.[/citation]
Torrents are not exclusive to music. You can get any game you want for free, but it's no fun if you can't play it online (properly).

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
My views on intellectual property summed up perfectly.
http://vimeo.com/36881035
I don't fully stand with both parties on either side of this situation, but if I was forced to make a decision, it would be to stick with The Pirate Bay, and here's why:
Who has the money? RIAA
Who's being the bully? RIAA
Who's not looking out for the betterment of society? RIAA
Who would try to sue anyone without a d*** care in world who it is (because suing college kids with no money is apparently morally just)? RIAA
Who would freely sit back and watch the world burn below them? RIAA
Organizations such as the RIAA piss me off, and continually prove their status as scum of the earth.
Long live public domain!

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
TPB says the truth. Recording industry is just the money sucking unnecessary evil that should be done away with. Artists should be able to present their work on a platform that has a wide audience and one that gives them their due, not like the recording companies who pay a small fraction of their profits to the artists.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
I don't support torrents despite being a user. But I am more against the record companies. What was that service that megaupload (or another similar site) planned about selling music for a fraction of a price but giving 99% profit to the artist and keeping 1% for themselves? That I would support, I'd honestly purchase all my music through that method. but that got closed down by greedy record companies, and for that is why I'd prefer to torrent music and show my support of the band by seeing them live.

buzzkillington

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
If the RIAA is going to say jobs are being lost, then they have to say TPB is making jobs too. From all the countless anti-piracy protection to the unlimited amount of lawyers and cops going after them, TPB is is creating plenty of jobs and the people losing money are mostly the rich guys who already have millions who have an unquenchable greed.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
RIAA and SoundChoice are my two biggest angers. They're both greedy.

Instead of being a F*&#ing bully and suing everyone, a MUCH better solution would be to find a way to prevent piracy in the first place. Everyone has Windows computers. Partner up with Microsoft and create a new anti-theft/anti-piracy solution.

For the piracy that has already occurred, well, just cut your losses and move on. That's your own damn fault and you deserve it.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
.99$ for a song on itunes is too much. artists should be competitive with their prices instead of shelling out trash for a buck.

Granter

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I download about 1-2gig each day from TBP, my 14year old sister around 20gig (blueray movies). My sister is a bigger thief then USA's biggest gangsters, problem US?

(jaja i'm swedish)

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
the s... they are calling music these days is not even worth the power my pc uses up to dl ... let alone money ... make decent music and ill buy it, if not ill just go back to my 70's and 80's collection i have.

PS: im 20 something if it matters, and yes i had the missfortune to grow up with this crap they now call music.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]There hasn't been any music or movies worth pirating in the past 10 some odd years.....[/citation]

sadly true...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]TPB says the truth. Recording industry is just the money sucking unnecessary evil that should be done away with. Artists should be able to present their work on a platform that has a wide audience and one that gives them their due, not like the recording companies who pay a small fraction of their profits to the artists.[/citation]

to be 100$ fair, recording companies sink crap tons of money into artists, so much so that most dont break even on a debt till their 3rd or 4th cd.

a pro recording studio costs alot of money to make, or even rent
people mixing the song just right cost money too.
a concert also costs a significant amount of money.

without the record companies, alot of lesser bands may never even see the light of day.

record companies =/= riaa

though with digital recording for guitar, bass, keyboard, and so forth, the only really hard parts would be a real drum kit (or an e kit that is 3-4000$) and vocals, but you could make a small recording room and with a decent mic, get the voice pretty good, edit it how you want, such as making it should like it was recorded elsewhere.

for the most part a necessary evil.

[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]RIAA and SoundChoice are my two biggest angers. They're both greedy.Instead of being a F*&#ing bully and suing everyone, a MUCH better solution would be to find a way to prevent piracy in the first place. Everyone has Windows computers. Partner up with Microsoft and create a new anti-theft/anti-piracy solution.For the piracy that has already occurred, well, just cut your losses and move on. That's your own damn fault and you deserve it.[/citation]

yay, no more being able to rip my cd collection, i have to re purchase everything... whats this, they increased the price per song to 4$ (2 or 3 songs on every cd are worth purchasing, they want to make up the loss) and there is nothing i can do about it...

------------------------

all that said

However, the loss of human jobs due to piracy is real

show me. i'm of the belief that almost all piracy is people who wouldn't purchase it to begin with. show me where the money is actually lost, and not just "potentially" lost like the riaa and mpaa love to point out (mpaa says that every so often that a movie would have cracked 1 billion if not for piracy, but it was a colossal piece of crap and no one went to see it in the first place)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]olaf[/nom]the s... they are calling music these days is not even worth the power my pc uses up to dl ... let alone money ... make decent music and ill buy it, if not ill just go back to my 70's and 80's collection i have.PS: im 20 something if it matters, and yes i had the missfortune to grow up with this crap they now call music.[/citation]
24, the majority of what comes out is crap, i can agree, but than again, you are looking at main stream, something i don't even bother with, its catchy, it may be good to listen to, but i don't attribute most of it with being good.

you want to look more at indi bands than mainstream ones. before youtube screwed up the recommendation page, i found quite a few good songs made with in the last 20 years, granted, most songs i like are either 80's and earlier, or they are foreign songs where i cant understand the lyrics, but i can like the music.

pinnicle329

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
So many negative sweeping statements, there are a lot of great bands out there. The black keys, porcupine tree, the mars volta, go buy their stuff. It's excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.