TPB: The Delusional Recording Industry Must Be Stopped

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]On one hand, I understand the recording industry's anger. It's like Valve watching a major website copy all of their non-free games and uploading them for free, including L4D2, and not being able to do anything about it.On the other hand, bullying never works, especially when everyone are watching.[/citation]

you can get that game for free, and there was a community that sprung up when the game was like $40 (the cracked copy was able to work on all servers)
Due to valves support for games, they frequently fix bugs and add new features, (automated process on steam, but manual on any other service)

steam does with their house titles what most other game companies are unwilling to do. They don't use overzealous DRM, instead they offer good service and long term support for their games, and at $20 those communities around l4d2 are almost completely gone.

valves way for combating piracy for games like left 4 dead 2 (and tf2 before it was free to play), was to continue to improve upon the game. If you compare the first full release of the game to how it is today, you will see that basically for free to the customers, they have fixed many bugs, as well as added additional levels and other content, and have added new features.

and the legit route provided better customer service in getting the additional features in a seamless fashion, thus they beat piracy by making the paid product a better product, not by crippling the product in any way, but instead offering convenience that the pirate copies were just not able to offer.

Cespenar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
RIAA is like my Australian Government. Yuck.
I copy music from the '60s. Some good stuff. From Youtube.
All the musophiles I know have heaps of proper disks. I only get 280 dollars a week, otherwise I'd buy some legit stuff. But as one of you said: A $30 cd may have one song on it that I like. I have 2 cds where I only like one song. $30 for one song is way out of my price range.
I have heard some fantastic voices in my life and all of them were without a microphone. At 65 I have heard a lot.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
And who is in cahoots with RIAA? iCrap and its magical iTunes jail. Thank Steve Jobs for forging those golden relations that keep the RIAA behemoth feeding on artists and the public..

Fight RIAA and fight iCrap and you fight for freedom in the march of technology.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
.99$ for a song on itunes is too much. artists should be competitive with their prices instead of shelling out trash for a buck.

Sorry, but if 100 million people buy a song, then .99$ is a good reward. The problem are the middlemen; yes those that along with iTunes seek to defraud artists by taking too large a cut. .99$ would be more than enough for a song if 30 cents went to the artist. What we need to do is have artist put their music directly on the web and charge for its distribution while putting digital restriction on how the music is shared. The technology already exists to do that.

zhihong0321

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]pawessum16[/nom]My views on intellectual property summed up perfectly.http://vimeo.com/36881035I don't fully stand with both parties on either side of this situation, but if I was forced to make a decision, it would be to stick with The Pirate Bay, and here's why: Who has the money? RIAAWho's being the bully? RIAAWho's not looking out for the betterment of society? RIAAWho would try to sue anyone without a d*** care in world who it is (because suing college kids with no money is apparently morally just)? RIAAWho would freely sit back and watch the world burn below them? RIAAOrganizations such as the RIAA piss me off, and continually prove their status as scum of the earth.Long live public domain![/citation]

This little guy has no idea what happen right now. The Pirate bay is Pirate. Promoting piracy will greatly impact the whole industry, music, movie, gaming..
You HAVE TO PAY YOUR TOTAL RESPECT to those WHO BUY Legit Copy and SUPPORT the industry to go on. I am ok if you dont want to pay for those people's hard work, But just keep your FOOLISH mouth SHUT. We really dont need some 1 promoting piracy. We need more people to support the industry to continue improve further. Foolish Child.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
According to RIAA: Since peer-to-peer (p2p) file-sharing site Napster emerged in 1999, music sales in the U.S. have dropped 53 percent, from $14.6 billion to $6.9 billion in 2010.

Or it could be that the current crappy music has caused me to not add anything new to my music collection in about 5 years.

G

I suppose the suck-ass-ed-ness of music they've been putting out lately may have something to do with lost revenue, TPB is a convenient scapegoat.

Rap and R&B music have descended into a wank-fest of "OMG I R SO RICH, U R WANT TO HAVE CASUAL SEX IN MUH BUGATTI?".

Pop, rock and metal are either doing the exact same thing they did in the 90s, except not as good, and with souless, generic artists, or else they're trying to squeeze some ghey-club-trance into their genre, like Lady Gaga, Pitbull or LMFAO. Homo sexuals have been shaking their booties to that kind of music for 20 to 30 years, and here Pitbull is acting like he invented it yesterday, and it's gangsta.

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom].99$ for a song on itunes is too much. artists should be competitive with their prices instead of shelling out trash for a buck.[/citation]
Actually the artists get a tiny fraction of that .99 and most of that goes to the record companies. Artists are getting screwed too.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Sorry, but if 100 million people buy a song, then .99$ is a good reward. The problem are the middlemen; yes those that along with iTunes seek to defraud artists by taking too large a cut. .99$ would be more than enough for a song if 30 cents went to the artist. What we need to do is have artist put their music directly on the web and charge for its distribution while putting digital restriction on how the music is shared. The technology already exists to do that.[/citation]

You mean like megaupload intended to do, and was shutdown?

Piracy is BS because it ensures the creator does not get paid...
The distribution industry is even more BS, because it enures the people who do not create content are enriched more then the creator.

As a non-pirater and believer in paying for the content you use... it's hard for me to take either side because in the end, it is the creator that is screwed.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Ugh, the whole "job" card. If I had a penny every time that was played, I wouldn't need a job for at least two generations.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
we dont need recording industy, what we need si the creator sell things directly to us. Why should we need to pay extra bucks to the recording industry,especially they told u, u cannot rip the music u bought as backup, into another media to play.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Wait until RoboBurger catches on. Once McD's and Burger King see how much more money they can make without paying humans, there won't be fast food jobs anymore.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Hah!
Typical RIAA vomit..
Stopping piracy is impossible, they need to give it up. Lets take a look at the time line.
1994: the MP3 format is invented.
1997: "Broad band" internet is available in major cities throughout US / EU. Suburbs and rural areas mainly dialup.
1999 - Napster hits. First major music sharing service. Typical bandwidth limitations still prohibit movies being pirated to the masses at this time. Prior to this, most of it was being done via FTP sites posted in forums, and over IRC, etc. Basically NOT out there and easy to the general public prior to this.
2000: Metallica got a stick up their a**, and proceeded to start this WHOLE thing over music piracy.
2001: Napster shut down.
Lets summarize the next 9 years:
RIAA / MPAA continue to waste time and money stopping the inevitable. Kazaa, limewire, morpheus, and about 200 others that made it very easy to pirate music are all slowly and costly smacked down.
So lets take stock: after a decade of trying every possible venue including scare tactics by suing soccer moms and college students for money they probably wont see in the next 30 years of their lives, they are still basically at square one.
Enter 2011: The RIAA / MPAA decide that what they are doing simply isnt viable, and must pursue another avenue of attack.. The laws make it possible albeit difficult and expensive to stop various ways of pirating copyrighted material. However, the process is loosing the RIAA / MPAA money. Because the record industry is ran by 55+ deuche bags at the top, they are VERY disinclined to admit that something is simply beyond their control. So they decide to find a way to change the law so it becomes easier and cheaper to do what they want to do, and also protect every other deuche bag at the same time.
They buy a senator, and get him to make this dumb bill called SOPA. yada yada yada we all know about that.
Forgetting that ACTA was circumvented in about 30 seconds, and that the same can happen to SOPA, TPB demonstrated yet again, that no matter what they do, they CANNOT STOP IT.
Enter 2012: tpb.se is registered. Oops, guess the RIAA /MPAA is boned. Again! Heres to a NEW DECADE OF HUNTING THE WHITE WHALE!
That said, the record companies are past the point of full of sh*t. Music today is fairly easy to record and deal with. With modern recording equipment one can produce reasonable sounding music.
And contrary to popular believe, sound studios are NOT that expensive--Any more that is--
It USED to be, it was expensive to build.
it USED to take a lot to master and mix the music.
It USED to take a lot to distribute the music.
However, TODAY, all of that is nullified.
Beyond the fact they want to continue screwing every one over who BUYS music by charing non stop anal rape for a new release CD, they also screw over equally if not more so the artist themselves!
Heres how I see it, in the year 2012 and beyond:
Fact: Music started being a cash cow around 1952.
In 2012, music simply isnt worth much any more. Between the manufacturing of sub standard artists BY the record companies, the ability to get it so easily with OUT being anally raped, and everything else that factors in to this, any kid out of economics 101 can see that the industry is dying; pure and simple. they had no back up plan, and they are suffering for it now.
A word on the MPAA: STOP CHARGING SO DAMN MUCH FOR TICKETS TO IN-THEATER MOVIES AND MAYBE YOU'D NOT HAVE SUCH A BIG PROBLEM MORONS!
Who the HELL wants to pay 24 bucks to see a movie (assuming 2 people, and the latest "3D" movies)
Of course it doesnt stop there, the 24 is just the tickets, and because the theaters are of course wanting to turn a profit, the concession is inflated as it always has been. So by the time you and your sweet heart sit down for that new dolphin tale movie, you are out close to 40 bucks.
OR, you can pay 6 dollars for a six pack of cokes, pop corn, 2 kit-kat bars and a condom; Download the movie off the net, play it on your 42 inch television and 5.1 surround sound, and still have a 32 bucks left for some flowers, gas, RENT, what not.
So the MPAA is simply its own worst enemy. Charing to much fellas.. Quit bleeding people dry..
That said, I obviously think those two are full of it. However, TPB is not innocent here.
Lets not quibble or mince words: TPB exists for one purpose: The pirating of stuff. Pure and simple. And since they make stuff available for free that is otherwise supposed to be paid for, its wrong. Pure and simple. They are standing up and slaping the face of the "establishment". Another analogy could be pissing on a bee hive. At some point, some ones getting stung. Whether its the RIAA/MPAA, TPB or the public masses, some ones going to eat shit over this whole thing at some point. Any guesses who it will be?

poxenium

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
The future of music, movies and games is to consider them services, not products. People listen to the radio, watch TV, go to the cinema, go to concerts and play games on the official game servers, so that's where people should pay. Record companies should not be concerned with torrents and other download sites, because they qualify as digital storage, for which we already pay hidden taxes (for the possibly illegal intellectual property we may store on them).

Status
Not open for further replies.