Tracking devices system

CARRYN01

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015
I just bought a laptop used from pawn shop and a tracking system came up on the screen how do I remove it

When in doubt, return it for a refund.

When buying a laptop from a pawn shop, it is always a good idea to test out the laptop in the shop to make sure you can get into the Windows desktop. That basically means make sure it is not password protected.

You also do not want tracking software to pop up suddenly... that is a very bad sign...

CARRYN01

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015

The tracking software could have been activated sometime after you bought the laptop from the pawn shop. It is a strong sign that the laptop was stolen, then sold to the pawn shop. I recommend returning it and asking for a refund.

As for the reason you give to the pawn shop owner for a refund... that is up to you. Stating outright that you believe it is stolen due to the tracking software popping up is the right thing to do, but that could mean the owner will refuse to refund your money if he / she is unscrupulous which could mean you need to go to small claims court to get your money back. On the other hand, if you simply say something like it does not meet your expectations, then someone will end up buying it.

When it comes to buying stolen items, it is the last person who is holding onto the item that gets burned when it is tracked down.