Trackpad Double Clicking When it Shouldn't

zuv

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
The issue I'm having is a bit strange so I can't seem to find the right keywords to see if anyone else has had this issue as well...
I got an Eluktronics Pro-X P957HR laptop [Windows 10] and recently my mouse seemed to always be double clicking, after just looking up troubleshooting for that I found its not quite double clicking... It seems to only single click but as soon as I try to move the cursor it decides to click again, then move...

I turned off all gestures, taps, ect ect as one of the first things I did when I got it except for using 2 fingers to scroll, I've updated drivers changed double click speed but I just cant figure out what is causing the actual issue...

An example for where it's an issue is I'll click on the windows icon, and as soon as i move the cursor to open settings or anything, it clicks the windows icon again and the menu disappears or clicking back on a browser will go back one page then when I move the cursor it goes back another page....

Solution
Are you talking external mouse or the touchpad? That makes a bit of a difference. However, lets try seeing if it is hardware or not. Turn off the computer (off, not sleep or hibernate) and then start up in "Safe Mode" and see if the problem happens in there. If it does, then it is probably hardware that needs to be looked at for problems. But, if it doesn't happen in "Safe Mode" then it is software related. It could be a driver, malware, bad program, virus, etc. That will have to be found and fixed.

Also, if this only started after an update, program installation, etc. You may want to to "Start" and then search for "System Restore" (no quotes). Go into that and chose a restore point that is prior to when the problem started to reset...
Are you talking external mouse or the touchpad? That makes a bit of a difference. However, lets try seeing if it is hardware or not. Turn off the computer (off, not sleep or hibernate) and then start up in "Safe Mode" and see if the problem happens in there. If it does, then it is probably hardware that needs to be looked at for problems. But, if it doesn't happen in "Safe Mode" then it is software related. It could be a driver, malware, bad program, virus, etc. That will have to be found and fixed.

Also, if this only started after an update, program installation, etc. You may want to to "Start" and then search for "System Restore" (no quotes). Go into that and chose a restore point that is prior to when the problem started to reset the computer to. This may resolve it if it was due to an installation of something.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Solution