Trading Site Says BlackBerry Trade-ins Up 80 Percent

Status
Not open for further replies.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I just traded in my BlackBerry Bold for a new iPhone 4S (company provided). If it turns out that it plays as nice with our network as we think it will, I expect that we will be getting rid of our BBs altogether and going iPhone or Motorola (Android). There's a lot of monthly $$$ charges on BB that just don't exist on the other phones and with iMessage, the iPhones now have that direct messaging feature that once only BBs had...

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I switched from blackberry bold 9650 to iphone 4s, and it was not because of the outage.

It was because the device and software are three generations behind ios and android.

It was continually laggy, buddy, crash-prone. I will never go back to blackberry.

I am moving the rest of the family at the end of the month when more iphones are in stock at sprint.

normano

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I know a few people that have ditched their BB's following the outage

But I just think they are sad little individuals that do not know how to use other mediums in which to communicate with their friends

I as those people this - if their car breaks down, do they sell it and get another one or do they just wait until its fixed? - their care 'should' be more important to them than being able to send inane BBM's to their equally sad friends

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]I just traded in my BlackBerry Bold for a new iPhone 4S (company provided). [/citation]

Is the company going to let you install iTunes onto your company provided computer? if they do then the I.T. guy needs his HEAD EXAMINED!

[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Is the company going to let you install iTunes onto your company provided computer? if they do then the I.T. guy needs his HEAD EXAMINED![/citation]

With iOS 5 iTunes is no longer needed. You can use it for syncing but why would you when iOS has supported Exchange for contacts, calendar and e-mail for a while now (which also works with Google). Supposedly Tasks also sync with iOS 5. Although I don't think this works with Google Tasks yet even though Google recently opened up their task system for third party syncing.

Maybe it's time for RIM to stop requiring data services to go through their servers. Instead let customers connect directly to their messaging and e-mail providers systems like other smartphones. For government agencies, companies and individuals that want the extra security of RIM's servers for these tasks make it a paid monthly add-on paid directly to RIM rather than through the phone provider.

G

You do realize that the iPhone 4S wasn't the only big release this month, right? I left my BB and switched to the Droid Bionic.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Is the company going to let you install iTunes onto your company provided computer? if they do then the I.T. guy needs his HEAD EXAMINED![/citation]

Why do I need iTunes? Did you miss the fact that as of iOS5 you no longer need iTunes?

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]HAHAHA your company's IT department is a joke. What charges are you referring to exactly?..lol Exchange server? It's called security. My company won't allow anything from Apple to connect to its servers. We came close to letting Android until all the malware stories came out about the android market. [/citation]
...handful huh?...lol BlackBerry isn't going anywhere.[/citation]

There is an additional charge for using BB's (every carrier charges it - or are you not familiar with it?). There was a time when BBs were the stuff but the reality is that times have changed and MS has done a great job with Exchange and have surpassed what BB was doing.

And why the hell would I want to entrust my data going through their servers if my device can connect directly to my Exchange server? Or are you suggesting that Exchange servers are bug prone (and if so, you should post links)

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Ren1914[/nom]You do realize that the iPhone 4S wasn't the only big release this month, right? I left my BB and switched to the Droid Bionic.[/citation]

There is no doubt that RIM is seeing an increase in competion from various fronts (MS will no doubt impact them as well) and their survival will depend on their ability to react to these challenges. Investors are kind of leary of their ability to do so at this moment but we shall see.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]normano[/nom]I know a few people that have ditched their BB's following the outageBut I just think they are sad little individuals that do not know how to use other mediums in which to communicate with their friendsI as those people this - if their car breaks down, do they sell it and get another one or do they just wait until its fixed? - their care 'should' be more important to them than being able to send inane BBM's to their equally sad friends[/citation]

Your analogy isn't really apt to the situation, but I get the gist of what you're saying. The reality is that when I was travellling not to long ago, my BB was the only way for me to get my corp email so if that went down for an extended period of time (which it did but in a weird way as it was spotty) it would cause havoc for me. And yes, this may have been a one time thing but considering the time it occurred, you only need once to get a bit of a sour taste in your mouth and realize that you need less (not more) links in the chain. This is why having a phone that connects directly to your email server rather than going through their servers isn't such a bad thing.

fishcapade

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Blackberry Bold 9650 - Buh Bye! TIRED of the complete inability of internet use, Slooooooooooooooooooooooooow operation, turning wifi off of its own accord randomly, etc etc etc. Even though its not supported by our co. IT, I'm goin' for the Droid Incredible 2. CANNOT WAIT!!

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
ditched the blackberry, and migrated corp email through Good. So far so Good. BB is a piece of garbage, I hope this signals an end to their reign on corporations.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
wow all the BB haters are on the prowl. I think Blackberry shouldn't try to compete with a consumer product and just make business functions their main priority.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
For business use I wouldn't change from blackberry, the bottom line is BB is not a toy I don't need the latest angry birds version, or any of that stuff, I need long battery life , and to have phone clarity, get my emails respond, read word and excel and ppt, and that's it. The Bberry is more then well suited for these task and to be honest I can't believe any serious IT shop would rave about now offering iphone 4s, I could see it for employees wanting it, but I see no technical reason whatsoever to trade in my bberry for iphone. But then again, I have both my company phone is bberry and I wouldn't change it for a second, and my personal cell is iphone 4.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
The 9700 battery life is freaking legendary, I swear that thing would stay on for a week. BBerry needs to just stay on top of being a rock solid business man's phone, a phone for people who need a phone, not a toy.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I refuse to swap our staff from Blackberries. We have 4 iFails in use by upper management, which I wish were on either Android or BB.
Blackberries are definitely business oriented devices, and the last thing I need to worry about is staff cracking over large screens or spending their time playing Angry Birds.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
This article provides no info at all.

"trade-ins are up 80 percent in the last week alone"

From this I can draw conclusion that week before they had 5 devices traded in and next week they had 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.