Transfer preloaded win7 to new ssd

i.h.law06

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
Hi, I’m using a toshiba laptop been years, recently I bought a Samsung SSD 850, I like to find out is there a way to clone my hdd preloaded win7 to my SSD? Because it come with 2 version and I need both so in between I can reformat it for 32 or 64 bits.

Thank you very much.

Solution

Yes.
If your laptop has space for two drive, put the SSD in and migrate everything over.
If it does not have space, then obtain a USB SATA cable, connect the new SSD via USB.
Do the migration, and then swap drives around.

The primary thing you must do is...at the end of the process, power off, swap drives, and allow the system to try to boot up from the new drive.

And what do you mean by both 32 and 64bit? You have both of these installed, in the same laptop?

clutchc

Distinguished
If you don't have room for a 2nd drive so you can clone from one to the other, you can make a Win Disk Image along with a restore disk and use the disk to boot once the SSD is in place. Then restore the image to the SSD. Of course, you will need an external HDD and optical drive if you do it that way.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes.
If your laptop has space for two drive, put the SSD in and migrate everything over.
If it does not have space, then obtain a USB SATA cable, connect the new SSD via USB.
Do the migration, and then swap drives around.

The primary thing you must do is...at the end of the process, power off, swap drives, and allow the system to try to boot up from the new drive.

And what do you mean by both 32 and 64bit? You have both of these installed, in the same laptop?

Solution