Trent Reznor: Zuckerburg Is No Steve Jobs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diverse

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
LOL, right place, right time. Mark Zuckerberg may be a tool, but he did have the right tool at the right time. What sheer genius from Reznor. I mean, after all, isn't that how everyone else gets their fame and success? Funny how he also mentions Steve Jobs. Great going idiot, you lost all your credibility the moment that name come out of your mouth. Pretty sure Jobs was at the right place and time when MS bailed Apple out.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
For the love of God Toms - let us remove our own posts! Geez... for some reason it posted what I pasted into the line before I was finished! GRR

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Say what you want about Steve Jobs, but he's demonstrated repeatedly that he understands things that no one else seems to. He's got a genius for knowing what people want, before they do, and creating products that create or materially change a market. He does it so consistently, it's very impressive. Not that I'd ever own any of their products (except for a very pretty Apple logo wristwatch that I bought from eBay, and antique computers); I'm just not that hip and happening.

Everyone has flaws, and so does he, but his abilities are extraordinary as well. I just hope one day he makes something I actually want.

RobinPanties

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
You're right Trent they're not the same, Zuckerburg dropped out of Harvard to become successful, Steve Jobs dropped out of Reed College in Portland, to drop ac1d.

mwilliam12

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Apparently the majority of you haven't been keeping up with the news. Reznor keeps comparing Zuckerberg to Jobs because Zuckerberg just recently surpassed Jobs' personal wealth becoming the 15th (16th?) richest person in the world. So, Reznor doesn't lose credibility, it's a comparison thats been going around the media lately. And it's a fair comparison, both became rich through technology at a young age both of these "douches" donate 100s of millions of dollars to charities (school boards - in Mark's case) both have documentaries about how they began...

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Facebook will become annoying and it, too, will fade, just like Myspace, Friendster, etc. and all the kiddies will flock to the next new hotness. When that comes around, the company will first try to reinvent itself, and then exploit all the private information that they "own" (if they haven't been doing that already) and then finally get bought up by the next up-and-coming social megacorp.

And Apple will continue to innovate, market and sell compudgets (computers and digital gadgets) while Steve continues making his release presentations in mock turtlenecks and jeans.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I don't see what's ironic about Reznor scoring a movie for a director he's worked with in the past about a movie that's criticizing the site he says he hates. And he's right. People act different on Facebook and online in general than they would in real life. I don't understand why people like Facebook. I theorize that it's something girls like because they can play games and send their stupid status updates that no one cares about, and the male population follows along because that's where their lady friends are. In reality, all it really is is a clever marketing tool that sucks away your privacy. The one positive I'd say about Facebook is that since it's so popular, that it's a good way to get back in touch with old friends who you may have lost touch with. But that can be said about any social networking site. Facebook is nothing by overhype and clever marketing.

G

Joy Division might just have been bigger than U2 if Ian Curtis wasn't, you know... dead.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I think they're saying ex-front man because on the newest album Trent is working on: How to Destroy Angels, there's a woman who's doing the vocals. It's actually quite good. Website should be www.howtodestroyangels.com

However, it's much more appropriate to call him the man behind NIN, because he still produces the whole thing and makes it happen. IMO he's one of the most brilliant musicians of our generation.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Trent R blows donkey, Zuckerberg and Jobs are both opportunistic hacks that could not identify innovation if is were humping their legs. I'm a cross platform user with no real loyalties to either side but I would prefer to hear about real a philanthropist like Bill gates and what he is continually doing to help people and make our country and this world a better place. I don't care about a washed up moody rock star's opinion on anything but the price of cocaine this week. nuff said. this head line and story sucks. still love Tom's though. :)

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I'm inclined to agree with Reznor. Zuckerberg lacks charisma and ability to brainwash his followers. Most people now use Facebook not because it's better, but because most their friends are on there and refuse to leave. In short, Zuckerberg is akin to an "one-hit wonder".[/citation]

True but damn..that is one hell of a 1 hit!!!

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
"He was in the right place, at the right time, with a functional tool." - That was Billy Gates / Microsoft when IBM knocked on their door for an OS.

Billy quickly bought an "OS" for $27,000 (If I remember right), stuck a MC copyright on it and then licensed it to IBM. Pure genius, in business - but not technology. And 30 years late - MS has never changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS