Solved! Trojan Virus Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

OGFreeze

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
I ran a virus scan on my computer with Malwarebytes and it came back with 4 threats detected.
Two of them were Rootkit.Fileless.MTGen. One was a registry value and the other was a registry key.

The other two were Trojan.Fileless.MTGen. One was a registry value and the other was a file.
I removed them with the Malwarebytes and restarted my computer. After coming back on I ran the test again and it was still there. I then disconnected my ethernet cable and wifi and turned off system restore. After shutting that off I ran the malware test again and it was still there. Removed them with malwarebytes and restarted my computer. After coming back on I ran another test and they were gone.

Was that all I needed to do to completely rid my computer of the virus? Do I need to worry about looking for any hidden files, if so, what? I'm not 100% sure when the computer got the virus so was any of my information compromised?

Thanks for any replies!

OGFreeze

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

I did not scan it in safe mode last night. After reading your comment I figured out how to get into safe mode and ran a test while in that. It came back clean.

OGFreeze

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
The past two days my computer has been running extremely slow compared to the speed it usually runs. Could the virus still be hidden on my computer?

What steps should I take to be completely sure it is gone? I don't really have any important files on the computer would it be best to just completely wipe it?

OGFreeze

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
The safe mode scans came back clean when I ran them. I've read that with the rootkit Trojan it can still hide even when scanned in safe mode. My computer going extremely slow has me thinking it's still possibly on my computer.

I "reset this pc" from the windows 10 option last night. Went with remove everything then to all drives and fully clean the drives. When it came back on it said, "your pc has been reset but we couldn't remove all personal files."

Why didn't it delete everything?

rickin432

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015
Please don't use Malwarebytes. It's protection scores have plummeted recently.
Download Hitman Pro and Zemana Anti-Malware.
HP should be run in safe mode while Zemana in your normal mode.
Both their installations are simple and you don't need to do anything extra.

You should also download CCleaner. Run it and it will delete junk files which slow down PCs.

OGFreeze

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
Thanks for the tip rickin, I'll be sure to look into them.

COLgeek, is the ISO pretty much the eviqevilant to the initial start up disk? I built the pc myself and purchased windows 10(disc). Should I just put that disc in?

OGFreeze

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
I put the disc in and booted from that. Once I got to the part with partitions I deleted all of them and then continued with the windows installation. Should I be in the clear now? Is it possible for a virus to transfer from my computer to my router or anything connected to the router? Thanks for all the help by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.