Trouble running projector with my hdmi to vga connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanz roshan

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I have got my new Windows 8 Dell Inspiron 15 laptop. It does not have a VGA port and I do a lot of presentations where I need to connect to projectors at my client's offices. So I purchased a HDMI to VGA adapter cable. But when I tried to connect to a projector, the projector indicate the massage that no signal. I lowered the resolution on the display to 1024 x 768 (the lowest available on my laptop), but it still didn't work. I had to borrow a client's laptop to do the presentation. Can you help?

Solution
I had the same problem and contacted the supplier of the cable. They told me that the cable's (advertised under the computer accessories tab) description made it clear that this lead would NOT work from a laptop. I imagine that's the same as your cable. This is what the description said (I wish I'd noticed this before I bought it because I had to also use someone else's laptop for the presentation):

*****NOTE: Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function.****---- *****PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE BUYING THIS CABLE TO CONNECT FROM YOUR COMPUTER TO HDMI TV, YOU WILL NEED A CONVERTER (NOT INCLUDED)**************
This HDMI to VGA HD15 (Male) connects your HDMI enabled devices, HDTV (not from your PC or Laptop)...

AARental

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
The resolution shouldn't matter too much when it comes to this issue. Check your VGA connections first. Make sure there aren't any bent pins or loose contact point on any of the connections. When you plug in an external hard drive into your computer interface, most computers recognize the device and alerts you. If your laptop doesn't make any sound when plugging it in or a window doesn't come up, then make sure your laptop and device are compatible. Windows 8 may not recognize your device if it is an older device.

Ben
Lead AV Tech, AA Rental

R Wesley

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I had the same problem and contacted the supplier of the cable. They told me that the cable's (advertised under the computer accessories tab) description made it clear that this lead would NOT work from a laptop. I imagine that's the same as your cable. This is what the description said (I wish I'd noticed this before I bought it because I had to also use someone else's laptop for the presentation):

*****NOTE: Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function.****---- *****PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE BUYING THIS CABLE TO CONNECT FROM YOUR COMPUTER TO HDMI TV, YOU WILL NEED A CONVERTER (NOT INCLUDED)**************
This HDMI to VGA HD15 (Male) connects your HDMI enabled devices, HDTV (not from your PC or Laptop) to your monitor. HDMI enabled devices include, Playstation systems, HDTV receiver, Projector, A/V Receiver, DVD player, etc to your monitor. *********PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE BUYING THIS CABLE TO CONNECT FROM YOUR COMPUTER TO HDMI TV, YOU WILL NEED A CONVERTER (NOT INCLUDED)***Connectors : HDMI Male to VGA HD15 Male

So - you (and I) need to buy a converter!

Solution

maxshooter21

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

There is no issue with your connector or resolution at all, assuming you didn't break or bend the pins in your connector intentionally ;).

Follow these steps:
1. Just plugin your hdmi to vga connector and attach your projector or another vga monitor to it.

2. and start your pc/laptop if you see bios screen on both the monitors (or project and laptop screen), everything is working fine upto that point

3. now as sooon as you see windows 8 is loaded, one of your monitor is shut down to power saving mode (ie. blank/black screen), all you have to do is just plugout the hdmi connectory and re-insert it and within 5secs you would see display on both the monitors. (in your case since you are using a projector instead of second monitor as i mentioned in my example), please keep the projector on while doing all this.

The reason for this is unknown. The worst decision i have ever made in my life is i did A PAID UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 8 FROM WINDOWS 7. Windows 8 IS A NIGHTMARE IN EVERY SENSE BE IT USER-FRIENDLINESS, SOFTWARE/DRIVER COMPATIBILITY OR IT LOOKS AND APPEAL.

Windows 7 was the BEST EVER CREATED OPERATING SYSTEM BY MICROSOFT. I wish i had influence in microsoft to tell those guys that you HAVE REALLY DONE A SHIT JOB WITH YOUR NEW WINDOWS 8.

lizzie_p

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014
I recently purchased a similar laptop and when I went back to the store to get an adaptor, the helpful computer guy explained that this is a tricky configuration as hdmi is digital and VBA is analogue - so even though you can buy an adaptor, the signal will have trouble getting through. He also suggested buying a brand version, such as the dell version, as the copies will most likely not translate the signal - sounds like that may be what you are experiencing.

I was quite cranky because I know the apple adaptor works but he explained that the lightning connector on Macs translates most everything whereas our Dell laptops aren't made to do that. Not happy Jan! Hope this helps anyway.

Gdarkly

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014
I had exactly the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite when trying to project in a college classroom (HDMI output on my laptop and VGA input to the projector). In my case and using the StarTech.com HD2VGAE HDMI to VGA Adapter Converter, resolution matters completely as it was the solution. By setting the resolution to 1152x864 (and only this resolution) will the screen adopt the required 4:3 aspect ratio to project correctly.

thewheelman

Estimable
Sep 13, 2014
I ran into the same issue with an older classroom projector--vga only with my laptop hdmi only. I'm debating between the cable (only) and a convertor.

So, which works? A new (2 months old) laptop to a very old vga & s video only projector--cable or convertor? There's a large price difference and I don't want to do this 2 or 3 times to get it right.

Thanks!

Hometeam43

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014

My Dell Inspiron 15 does not have the resolution that you say is required. I have the same HDMI converter that you mention. When I first tested my laptop + converter with the school's Sanyo PLVWF20 projector. It worked fine. My husband didn't like the resolution showing on the projector so I changed the resolution on the laptop when I got home. I don't know what the original setting was that worked. However after changing the resolution I was no longer able to project a duplicate image on the projector. I'm pretty sure it's the resolution. I updated the video driver but I only have a few resolutions to pick from. We have been using the school's laptops, but can't load software to them. So we would like to use our own laptop. Any suggestions?

cycle7447

Estimable
Mar 10, 2015
Please buy this connector - I have been using it since I purchased my new laptop about 8 months ago. This has worked on every VGA projector I havee used, (make sure you get the one with audio - just in case you ever need to use the sound in presentations.

Cable Matters Active HDMI to VGA Male to Female Adapter with USB Power Cable in Black 3 Feet - Supports Audio

PiotrT

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015

I use an adapter which I plug into one of the USB ports on my laptop and has a variety of connections for the other end. Works like a charm.

Pantechsual

Estimable
Jun 21, 2015
I run into this A LOT. I'm an A/V tech for conferences, breakout rooms, general sessions, you name it. I'm also a pan-techsual tinkerer and all-around nerd. YOU MUST HAVE AN ACTIVE ADAPTER! That said, if your video chipset generates insufficient power on pin 18 (5vdc), like some MacBooks, you need to get that extra oomph from somewhere. The Cable Matters adapter described above is an excellent choice, as it allows you to boost the power via USB if you need it. "Audio out" is a nice bonus, especially if your PowerPoint contains a video! I can run a lovely signal from anything with a full size HDMI. I can use my phone, too, but that takes another powered adapter just to get to full HDMI.

It seems like an awful lot of fuss, but the first thing an output device looks for is a good signal on the power pin. Also, your active converter chipset may run erratically (if at all) without enough juice.

Sorry to say, but while VGA is technically considered an end-of-life technology, those old VGA projectors are workhorses. The rental houses aren't getting rid of them in any forseeable time. /VGA_rant

leswhite

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015

Haddoc

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

jeffersrk

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
I also have a similar problem but with a twist to it. I connected a Dell 4320 projector to my laptop using VGA and connected an LG Flatron E2241S monitor to the projector using VGA as well.
I recently purchased a Dell laptop with HDMI only and running windows 8 and when the projector was connected it using HDMI, the monitor stopped working and now it displays a "CHECK CABLE SIGNAL" message. Does anyone have any ideas about solving this issue?

PhilGBrown

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015

I think your solution of the active adapter may help me. We have a 3M SCP725W projector that has worked fine with older laptops that have built-in VGA. However, on newer laptops with built-in HDMI and using an HDMI-to-VGA adapter, the projected image blinks off from time to time and the 3M logo appears. This has happened on several laptops and with more than one adapter.

I have tested this with energy saver and screensaver settings turned off. I can't find any pattern as to how long the PC has been running or what it has been doing before the projection fails -- PowerPoint presentations, Youtube videos, or even just sitting at the login screen.

The laptop's display also blinks off momentarily when the 3M logo appears. I don't know if the laptop's display blinking off is a symptom or cause of the projected image failing. But I do suspect stability problems because of the HDMI-to-VGA adapter. The newer laptops are running Windows 8 or 8.1, I believe. The one that I've done the most testing with is running Windows 8.1 Pro.

The 3M also has HDMI, although it's video only, no audio, and the documentation seems to imply that we can direct-connect HDMI between the laptop and projector. We might try that.

Kamal_666

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015
The laptop's display also blinks off momentarily when the 3M logo appears.

I am facing the same issue ever since I migrated to WINDOWS 10. Stupid me.

(1) On client Site, Training Room # 1, I had issues which you described. Mine is giving trouble temporarily and then working fine. During the presentation screen goes "no signal" and it embarrasses me.

(2) On client site, Room # 2, It worked flawless.

(3) In my office, on Dell's external screen, it works Flawless.

I am not sure where the problem lies.

Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.