Trying to Decide between 2 Laptops

Aug 13, 2018
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a new laptop, and have narrowed my search to two products:

A. Dell from Best Buy
(https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g7-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-128gb-solid-state-drive-1tb-hard-drive-licorice-black/6212435.p?skuId=6212435)

B. Acer from Newegg (https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834316435)

The perks of the Acer is the larger screen. However, I would have to purchase a HDD, which the Dell includes already and as a whole is at a lower price.

In order to provide everyone with some more details on my preferences and use of this, here is some more information:

1. My budget is between $1000-1200
2. Laptop size does not matter too much, but I prrefer a screen size between 15 and 17 inches
3. I am fine with 1080p resolution.
4. This laptop will mostly be portable and not a desktop replacement.
5. Several hours of battery life is preferable but I understand I will likely lose much of this when gaming.
6. I intend to use this laptop to play games such as Total War series, other strategy games, and management simulators (i.e., planet coaster, jurassic world evolution, etc.). I would like to play these at the highest settings possible.
7. I would also like to use this machine to use MATLAB from time to time.
8. 1 TB if HDD space for games and files, and an SSD to hold my OS and other programs like Word.
9. Best Buy and Newegg are the sites where I found the best deals so far. Links are at the top of this post.
10. I'd like to keep this laptop for the next 5 years at least. My last laptop is still running fro. 2011 and the only reason I am really upgrading is to play games on the side and have a bit of a faster machine.
11. Optical drive would be nice, but I don't need one.
12. I'm not familiar as to which brands have better reliability or product manufacturing.
13. I live in the US.
14. Really I just want a laptop that I can use to primarily play games, do some work with word, and some MATLAB processing. I should note that the Dell has an additional $100 bringing it to ~$1000.

Any assistance in helping me determine which of these machines is superior is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Solution

Then yes the Dell for sure.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
I'd say the Dell one. It looks better on cooling and Dell is known for using decent parts. Acer is known for being cheaply made. They are normally for budget systems.

Only thing I'm concerned about on the Dell one it is really doesn't list what specific CPU is being used. Just says i7.

Aug 13, 2018
Thank you both! I was leaning on the Dell, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. The Dell CPU is an i7-8750 (I checked it in the store).

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017

Then yes the Dell for sure.

Solution