Trying to decide: use old camcorder or buy new one?

Aug 2, 2018
I have a small hand held samsung camcorder that has decent video quality. I've had it for a few years now and only used it once or twice; so assuming all it needs is a full recharge before use, My biggest question is: would this make a good starter cam for a beginner youtuber?

USAFRet

Illustrious

It will make a good starter camera for you, if it provides a video quality that is good for you.
The only one who can tell that is you.

No use buying a new one, unless you know what the old one isn't doing for you.

Aug 2, 2018

Thanks for confirming that.

I'll have to recharge it and find out if it still works; with my low budget at the moment I'm hoping I have at least that much luck, it might mean the difference between success and having to go back to the drawing board. I've already done a lot of hard work deciding on my material; so having a camcorder that's out of commission would be a major hiccup! if anyone can suggest a brand of cam or camcorder that would work as a good backup option for someone with a low budget just in case that would be an amazing help also.

Thanks again!

USAFRet

Illustrious
I have a couple of 20+ year old 8mm camcorders that I would not hesitate to use for this.
Record, import the vid through a capture device...

The content of your video and post prod editing is at least as important as which camera you use.