Trying to upgrade Toshiba NB550D screen from WSVGA to WXGA

carnbot

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade the screen of my Toshiba NB550D to work with windows 8 and because the higher resolution works well with this netbook. I bought an equivalent LG 10.1 LED WXGA screen but there is noise in some areas of the some colours, I'm trying to work out if the screen is faulty or it's incompatible?

I know some people have successfully upgrade the NB500 series screens but I'm not sure about not this particular model. Other than the colour glitch the screen works really well and is crisp and smooth.

I don't want to have to go back to WSVGA, why did Toshiba not use a 1366x768 screen with this netbook?
The graphics card can handle HD so it should be ok yes?

The colour noise is in the Bios screen so it can't be a video driver issue I assume....

Thanks for any help

carnbot

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
Hi,

Yes it boots up and Windows 8 works really well except it has fuzzy noise and lines in certain colours, not all though.
Windows itself detects no problem with the screen.

here are some closeups:

2_zps1bc95a55.jpg

3_zps4f0977f5.jpg

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Looks like the display is not capable of rendering certain tones correctly. Could it be a faulty one? If so, can you return it for a replacement?

carnbot

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
I'm hoping that it's because it's a faulty screen. The supplier is letting me return it. But I will get another one from somewhere else.
I'm just wondering if an WXGA screen is incompatible with this netbook would it have errors like this?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
The difference in resolution should not give any errors, or should give errors regardless of the color tone. AFAIK. Others feel free to chime in.

carnbot

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks, hopefully someone else can also confirm that these colour errors are the result of a faulty screen and not because it's incompatible.

I don't really want to get another one ordered if it won't work because of something to do with the netbook :)

carnbot

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
You CANNOT just upgrade the screen like that

Hi Brett, can you say why without a flat statement?

I know on most netbook models you can't. According to this thread you can on my series of netbook http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/647314-possible-upgrade-netbooks-screen.html

So it has been done on this series of netbooks. I don't know how the hardware works, if it has a graphics card that supports it and a monitor connection which is compatible is there something else hard wired to the motherboard which prevents it?

So if it doesn't work what exactly is causing the color band issues? I'm searching for a definite hardware reason other than you simply "cannot" do it as others have.

thanks

Hi :)

Look at my sig...that's why...

99% of lappies NEED the correct screen...easy way to test yours ...put in the CORRECT NEW SCREEN (numbers same) and if it works perfectly, you will know i am right...

All the best Brett :)

The rare time it does work is usually when they either use the same hardware for multiple laptops or they offered the laptop itself with different resolution screens. IE, a model that lets you get a 15" 1600x or 1920x screen at checkout, the 1920x screen would probably work because the company isn't changing anything other than a different panel. In reality though, most laptops don't do that.

Yes it worked for 1 person who said so on a forum. The majority of laptops though, it won't. It's hard to say if it's a panel issue or incompatible with your laptop.

carnbot

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013

Hi Brett,

Of course I am aware of this :) I wouldn't have tried to upgrade the screen without the knowledge that several other people have successfully done so with this model.

It turns out that the screen connector is damaged and this might be causing the issue. I was careful, but not careful enough obviously as when I peeled the tape back it bent some of the connector slightly.

The original screen is no longer working by my connector. How easy is it to replace a screen connector?
I can still connect to an external monitor via hdmi on the netbook So I know this connector is the problem.

thanks

carnbot

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
Well it turns out it's not particularly easy but not too difficult on most laptops so hopefully this one is the same. I've found the lcd cable part online. That seems the only option at this point unless I can somehow fix the connector.

carnbot

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013

I'm not sure if that's what it's called but it's very flimsy so I'm just ordering another instead of even trying, they're quite inexpensive anyway....

Wrathlon69

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Just thought I'd chime in here:

The mod works for sure on an NB500 and according to EMPR (tosh.empr.com.au) the part numbers for the NB500 LCD Panels are identical to the part numbers for the NB550D LCD Panels. Any screen mod that works with the NB500 will also definitely work with an NB550D.

carnbot

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks :) that's good to know, I must have damaged the connector when I peeled the tape back which caused the slight colour error, otherwise it was working great.

Wrathlon69

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
This has inspired me so I just bought myself a 1366x768 panel and decided to take it a step further with a capacitive touchscreen overlay :D

Wrathlon69

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
OK mine arrived, I have the similar screen crap going on but its on everything.

When I plug the original screen in, it works fine.

Considering the guy in that thread did it with a laptop that shares the exact same panels Id really love to know why its having issues.