Solved! Turning your laptop into desktop workstation. Any Pro Tips?

Nov 12, 2018
Hi! I have recently bought an external keyboard, mouse and monitor and I use my laptop as a heart of the whole setup. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the results, however I thought maybe some of my habits can be improved. Do you guys have any tips for using your laptop as a desktop? I particularly wonder about a possibility to turn on the laptop without opening the lid and pressing the physical power button, which is kind of bummer. Do you believe that buying a dedicated cooling pad will improve the cooling? How do you handle the cables? Kind Regards.

Solution
Did the manufacturer of your laptop have a docking bay? If so that is usually the answer for making it a desktop.
Usually storage is one of the limiting factors in a laptop. Changing your storage to solid state (SSD) will make a big difference especially if your laptop is a lower end model.

kanewolf

Judicious
Did the manufacturer of your laptop have a docking bay? If so that is usually the answer for making it a desktop.
Usually storage is one of the limiting factors in a laptop. Changing your storage to solid state (SSD) will make a big difference especially if your laptop is a lower end model.

Solution
I never turn off my laptop completely, always sleep it. In order to wake it, the external keyboard does it, no need to open lid.

In order to reduce cabling, talk to your mass storage wireless, if acceptable. Make use of hub/dongle etc so unplug the hub, not the individual cables.