Turtle Beach Earforce X12 Mic Not Working (Windows 7)

christhrowawaytrash

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
My Earforce X12 is plugged into UBS and pink/green cable ports, and it plays audio like it should. The microphone attached to the headset is not recognized and will not work with any programs, but I can hear myself speak into it, even when Windows is booting. In the sound tab of the control panel, it refers to my headset as "Speakers". In the Recording tab, it says my mic is plugged in, that there is another mic that is not plugged in, and a line in cable that is also not plugged in. Help getting my mic to work would be appreciated.

ComputerGuy55

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Hello Chris, could you first reply by stating the OS that you are running? I am running windows 7 and actually have a pair of these headphones that I no longer use.

First I would like to ask, when you plug in the Microphone jack, does windows pop up asking you to assign it to either being a Back Panel / Front Panel / Microphone? It should pop up and ask the first time you plug it in. I would like to also add that I would do this in stages when you plug in the headset as I've had this issue before. Plug in the USB to give it power, then plug in the microphone first and see if the prompt comes up, I've had it where I plugged both in and it only let me choose the Speakers and did not request me to assign the microphone.

Under "Recording Devices" you say your microphone shows up, is it selected as the Default device (Green checkmark), also, does the bar move up and down as you speak into the microphone? If yes to all of this, right click and go under Properties, go to the "Level" tab and ensure that the volume is not too low, you can try turning on "Listen" if you wish to test and see if you can hear yourself speaking into the headset (It should play back through what ever your default sound device is)

Also, what software controls your audio? Mine is Realtek HD Audio Manager, this is the program that pops up asking me to assign the device.

christhrowawaytrash

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

I'm running Windows 7. When I plug in the microphone jack, there's no pop up from anything. There is no bar at all, and there is nothing in the level tab.

ComputerGuy55

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

Are you able to post your Motherboard as well?

In the meantime I suggest downloading and installing any Driver Updates for your Audio Drivers, even if they do not seem to be newer, just reinstall the drivers to see if it helps resolve the issue.

christhrowawaytrash

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

I tried reinstalling my audio drivers from the Asus website but now no audio plays at all.
Motherboard is ASUS P8Z77-V LX

ComputerGuy55

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

Hm, are you certain you installed the correct ones for your operating system?

You could always revert to the last working version using Device Manager.

Start > Right Click My Computer > Manage > Device Manager

Look for 'Sound, video and game controllers', in here you should be able to select the corresponding driver. Ensure you select the right one, Right Click it and go to Properties. Under the Driver tab select Update Driver. In the new window, select 'Browse my computer for driver software.' Then select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.'

It should then give you a list of the last time drivers were installed, select the last one you remember working, play around with a couple to see if you can get the mic working. The newest driver from their site should work assuming it's the correct one.

christhrowawaytrash

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

I tried the newer driver from 2014 and the older one from 2012, both compatible with Windows 7 64 bit, but I still get no audio.

ComputerGuy55

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

When you re-installed the drivers did you check under your "Playback Devices" to ensure that the correct device is being selected? Does anything there allow you to produce sound?

Speakers, monitor, a different pair of headphones?

Also, are you ensuring to do a restart after installing the drivers?

christhrowawaytrash

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

http://bit.ly/2evDzzt

Here's a screencap of Playback Devices.
I can't unselect speakers. I always restart after installing drivers. Also, I uninstalled Nvidia High Definition Audio.

Man, I just keep going down a rabbit hole, don't I?

ComputerGuy55

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

That's strange.. I'd be willing to try and help you over Teamviewer or something if you're comfortable with that, but this does seem odd.

Jan 1, 2014
I just had a very similar problem and I know this thread is two years old but for anybody that stumbles upon this heres what fixed it for me.

Open Audio Devices
Recording Tab
Right Click on the microphone that isnt wokring but is selected to be used
Configure Speech Recognition
Set up Microphone

Thats what did it for me. Dont know why it all of a sudden stopped working tho