TV Buying Guide 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

amusso18

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015
If you're buying a TV today, this advice is OK, but it's still got you spending a lot more than you need to spend. Here's a bit more sensible advice.

1) You won't really find any TV in 720p that you'd be putting in a living room. Most 720p sets are 32 inches or less, making them bedroom or kitchen TVs. There's nothing wrong with 720p on smaller sets, because your eyes can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at those small sizes. A larger 720p set (if you can find one...) really isn't that bad, either. Most cable channels still broadcast in 720p, and 720p is still better for high-motion events like sports.

2) 120 Hz refresh rate is great and all, but, as I mentioned, most sports today is still broadcast in 720p at 60Hz. So your 1080p TV with a 60-Hz refresh rate will probably be fine. Unless you're a gamer and have a huge TV, you probably won't have any problem with a 1080p set at 60Hz. But 120 Hz is fast becoming standard, so it can't hurt to pick that up.

3) Don't consider a 4K/UHD TV. AT ALL. There's virtually no content available, and unless you either 1) sit REALLY close, or 2) have a HUGE TV, you won't notice the difference. In order to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K/UHD on a 60 inch TV, you have to sit about 5 feet away or closer from your set. I can guarantee you you're not going to sit that close, and you probably don't have a TV that big anyways. Five years from now you can buy that 4K TV, and in the meantime you can spend a fraction on a 1080p set that will be perfectly adequate for the next few years at least.

4) OLED is really nice to look at, but you're wasting your money at this point. Unless you really want one and can afford it, it's generally more expensive than it is necessary.

5) Pay no attention to Color Gamut and Contrast Ratio info. If you don;t know what it is already, you really don't need to know.

6) 4 HDMI ports usually come on large, expensive sets. Chances are you'll only need 2, maybe 3. Unless you have a lot of game consoles (like I do), 2-3 ports is just fine. Plus, if you run out, you can get great external HDMI switchers for cheap on Amazon. Add an external device for $10, or pay $100 more for that extra port built in? I know which one I'd choose.

7) Curved TVs are just stupid. They reduce your range of viewing, do absolutely nothing for image quality, and just costs more. Don't waster your money.

8) Don't waste your money on a "Smart TV". EVER. You end up spending a few hundred extra over non-smart TV when you can add, say, a Roku 3 for $70 externally. Also, because there is no one standard smart TV operating system, most smart TV operating systems are abandoned quickly, meaning you'll get very few apps, little support, and a device that's effectively obsolete in 2 years. Better to replace your cheap streaming stick (like a $35 Chromecast) every couple of years than the whole TV.

9) You don't need a soundbar. They're a mark-up item, nothing more. Yes, some of the cheapest TVs have terrible speakers. But most average TVs sound perfectly fine on their own. If you have a huge room, just invest in a surround sound system and skip the soundbar entirely.

10) Never buy the warranties. Ever. You'll never use it.

In short, most people will be just fine with your standard, run-of-the-mill 1080p 60Hz TV. While your specific needs may dictate whether or not you need things, like a higher refresh rate (gaming), a basic TV will suit your needs. And, you can add things like a Roku or an external HDMI switch for far less than it would cost you to simply buy a smart TV or adding one extra HDMI port.

Reactions: AmyInNH

gjlang

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
As I read the main article I had my own ideas on each issue. Those ideas were presented by the previous poster almost to a tee. That's the advice to follow. My only disagreement is with the addition of a soundbar. While it is true most sets sound pretty good, add a soundbar and you will never go back. You just can't get deep bass from a TV. Great for small rooms. My advice is to buy a highly rated, less than $200 bar with an external subwoofer. My $1200 bar sounds the same as my sister's $160 bar. Buy a cheapo, A-B the sound with the TV and I'll bet you don't send it back.

Whiskers44

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
This is all so confusing for the layman.We only want a 22" for the kitchen,nothing elaborate.
Previously had a Logik L24FED13 , but it took so long to fire up,by the time it was functioning the programme was over. What do we buy,apart from a gun.lol

A_15_

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
regarding extended warranties, I usually agree they are money making deals for the store more than helpful for the consumer, however I found myself in a situation where it made some sense. I made a 4k TV purchase with a "store credit card because they offered 2 years interest free, and calculated that for only $6 / month more for the 24 months I can have extra peace of mind in case something unexpected happens beyond the manufacturers warranty. Its rare, TVs are made pretty well, but the more tech these TVs have, the more things that can go wrong.

mkh6730

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
I bought a Sharp 70 in. LED Smart 3D TV 3 years ago and purchased the extended warranty for five years. Three years in it developed a vertical blue line and tech says they don't make a replacement panel for it so I got a full replacement price instore credit for a new TV of my choice, but it didn't include the $547.00 cost of the warranty. I haven't made a purchase yet as I need to know the new terminology

Bob_Cav

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017
While the choice of buying a smart TV or not is becoming irrelevant, the frustration they may cause is not. I have a Samsung smart TV that is several years old, and there are apps like HBO Go, Amazon Video, and Showtime Anytime that they just removed and no longer support. These aren't some crazy off the wall apps. It's ridiculous that they removed them. I'm better off with a Roku and never bother setting up the wifi on the TV. What's the point if they'll just pull the rug out from under you?

bukzin

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Before going to the store make up two lists of needs and wants.

The unit I bought did not include a TV tuner, no coax input jack. The 'salesmen'

I worked with at Costco knew even less than I did. They went on and on about the great picture but could not answer most of my questions (were the HDMI inputs rated for HDR,
can user add apps to Smart TV, could not produce the remote or owners manual)

Seems buying a TV is a DIY project.

maureen9705

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
I'm buying a "smart" tv for the first time. I want a 50". Will be mounted on the wall and will not be playing any games. I'm in my 70s so I just want to buy the most upgraded tv on the market with good color. I've read Tom's guide and would like any suggestions.

simoleuser

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Hi, guys, need to buy tv in my shower. Need to be 27" and about 900 $ cost.
Is it better to buy waterproof TV or usual Smart tv with waterproof cover?

Nov 8, 2018
I see a lot of comments about not needing the extended warranty. I bought a Samsung 55" Smart TV from Costco about 18 months ago. Did not buy an extended warranty. Fortunately, Costco covers 2nd year warranty cuz my panels had a defect. Too expensive to fix so I get a refund.

Aug 10, 2018
Any Recommendations:

I’m looking for a 40” Smart TV

It will usually be used as a computer monitor and Security Camera Monitor as well as a TV which is why it would be helpful to have picture in picture capabilities

I am looking for 4K resolution with HDCP compatibility, with 120 Hz or greater refresh rate, HDR Compatible, preferably with 4 HDMI Ports, Mirroring Capabilities, Supporting Blue Tooth and WiFi capabilities, multiple USB Ports, Headphone Jack, Sleep Feature and Audio Outputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.