inevitabletriumph

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014
Hi, I've got a Samsung KU6300 that I'm attempting to use a set of Klipsch stereo speakers (3.5mm) with instead of the standard TV speakers. The Klipsch work great. The Samsung has optical out and HDMI ARC. I'm attempting to set it up so that using the remote controls the volume. Since optical is line level and can't be adjusted by the TV, that won't work for me. I purchased an ViewHD H2HARC audio extractor from Amazon to try to pull the sound from the HDMI source, but unfortunately, I had no luck. I was wondering if anyone could help me walk through this.

- TV speaker source selected as "HDMI Receiver"
- Audio advanced settings: PCM audio
- HDMI audio settings: PCM audio
- HDMI 1.4 cable going from HDMI 3 ARC port of TV to input of H2HARC
- ARC button pressed
- 2 channel selected on H2HARC
- RCA to 3.5mm adapter plugged in

But no audio. I've ensured that all cables are working properly and that the speakers are in good condition. If I turn off the ARC button on the back of the converter, the device disappears from the Samsung TV audio sources. Am I missing a setting?

EDIT: I just got an e-mail from the manufacturer saying that in ARC mode, only optical output will work. So I plugged in cable from the optical output to another adapter to go from optical output of the H2HARC to the optical/RCA audio extractor (which I tested before from the TV, is working), but no output. Could I just have a bad unit?

Solution
Both ARC and optical audio output are fixed and are not affected by the TV remote.
There is no way to use a TV remote for volume control unless you have a headphone out (which you don't have).
If you wanted to use the optical out then you would usually turn it on and the TV speakers and ARC off. Check the owners manual.
You could add one of these
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-CUSTOM-AUDIO-50-8394-/50-8394
and use it with an ARC audio extractor or optical to analog converter.
Both ARC and optical audio output are fixed and are not affected by the TV remote.
There is no way to use a TV remote for volume control unless you have a headphone out (which you don't have).
If you wanted to use the optical out then you would usually turn it on and the TV speakers and ARC off. Check the owners manual.
You could add one of these
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-CUSTOM-AUDIO-50-8394-/50-8394
and use it with an ARC audio extractor or optical to analog converter.

Solution

inevitabletriumph

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014

Okay, did not know that. Out of curiosity then, do you know why the volume up and down buttons are displaying + and - onscreen when I have HDMI receiver set as the audio source? It seems to be trying to change the volume, even though I'm not getting any sound. It feels like I'm on the brink of making things work, just don't know how to get that one last little bit.

cmiller1234

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

cmiller1234

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue with a new tv. I'm trying to go from hdmi ARC out on the tv to rca inputs on my receiver. I'm not sure what cable I will need.
Thank you