Solved! TV PSU Compatability

Aug 29, 2020
Received the wrong TV PSU board. It looks the same and has the same pinouts, but has a slightly different model number (appears to be for a larger version of my TV).

Does it work like a computer PSU, where it's okay to use a higher wattage PSU, but a lower wattage one might cause problems?
Is it safe to try it?
Or should I just return it and try to get the exact same part.

Prefer answers that help me learn. Thanks in advance.

Solution
If the only difference is that the wrong board has a higher wattage capability then you are correct that it should not harm the TV. The TV will only draw what current it needs regardless of whether the power supply can supple more.
If the board has higher voltage then that will likely damage the TV.
I would contact the seller or the TV manufacturer and double check that it will be fine.
If the only difference is that the wrong board has a higher wattage capability then you are correct that it should not harm the TV. The TV will only draw what current it needs regardless of whether the power supply can supple more.
If the board has higher voltage then that will likely damage the TV.
I would contact the seller or the TV manufacturer and double check that it will be fine.

Solution
Aug 29, 2020
Unfortunately, I think I need to return the board. I did find a few small differences between the boards, with the most notable of which being that my board has a 6.3A/250V fuse, while the other board only has a 5A fuse. I would have thought that the bigger TV that it came out of would have required a higher watt power supply, but the fuses make me question that assumption. Maybe the other TV used other components that required less juice, IDK.

Not too happy about this. I might have to pay return shipping, and I'm going to have to wait for the correct part to get snail mailed to me. Grumble, grumble.

Regardless, thanks for the response.

TRENDING THREADS