TV refresh rates

rekt341

Estimable
May 12, 2015
Hello everyone,

So I was planning to buy this TV http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5389465

I just wanted to know if the refresh rate makes much of a difference for a tv. I don't intend to do any gaming on this tv just to watch tv and Netflix etc. Although if this tv is good for gaming it would be nice to know also.

Thanks for your time!

Solution
Yes it makes a difference. I bought a 55" 4K TV with a native 60Hz refresh rate and was blown away by the clarity until I watched golf. Literally could not see the club swing. The TV could not keep up with the movement. Returned the TV and got the same size but with 120Hz native set and watched the same channel and tournament and this time I could see most of the swing. It was not perfect but was much better and was watchable. Whatever the reason for it, I would not buy a 4K set without 120Hz native refresh rate. Oh and make sure to turn off the motionflow, motionrate, or whatever your brand calls it as it makes everything look completely fake (soap opera effect).

ryguybuddy

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
For normal TV use (like you said) it would be great with the 4K screen and 43" as well.

For gaming, not so much. It probably has a low (real) refresh rate and 4K is hard to achieve unless you have 1080 or higher graphic card.

rekt341

Estimable
May 12, 2015

Thanks for your response the reason I asked about 4K gaming is that I am aware of the PS4 dropping a 4K console although I doubt I'd use it on a tv it's nice to know if it would lag

ryguybuddy

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016

Consoles are made for TVs. It would be a match made in heaven because console's can only output around the TV's refresh rate anyway. I thought you meant with a good 4K PC.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Yes it makes a difference. I bought a 55" 4K TV with a native 60Hz refresh rate and was blown away by the clarity until I watched golf. Literally could not see the club swing. The TV could not keep up with the movement. Returned the TV and got the same size but with 120Hz native set and watched the same channel and tournament and this time I could see most of the swing. It was not perfect but was much better and was watchable. Whatever the reason for it, I would not buy a 4K set without 120Hz native refresh rate. Oh and make sure to turn off the motionflow, motionrate, or whatever your brand calls it as it makes everything look completely fake (soap opera effect).

Solution