TV with no audio out port, how can I improve sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlelamb

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Hello, I have a samsung LN46E550F6F hdtv. It doesn't have an audio out port or a digital optical port. It has 2 hdmi in ports without ARC. No headphone jack, only component/av in ports. After contacting samsung and asking if I can connect anything to this tv to enhance its poor sound level I was told that it wasn't possible. For the moment I have my tivo box, which I get my cable service through, connected to one hdmi port. The other port I connect my laptop. I was able to figure out that I can connect my tivo box to my sony stereo system using a rca y audio cable. That's fine for when I'm watching cable tv but when I want to watch a movie by connecting my laptop to my tv there's no possible connection for my tv to my stereo's audio in. I have a dvd player and WII that I also connect the audio to my stereo system. But I have to constantly be plugging and unplugging. I would love suggestions as to what I can do to enhance my tv's sound. I was told I can't connect a sound bar so what are my options. Is a home theater possible. If so, how would I connect this to my tv. I've seen home theaters needing a digital optical port or an hdmi ARC port. I would appreciate detailed suggestions, thanks.

Solution
I have a brand new Samsung 55" with ZERO audio out ports. I solved it with an 4 x 1 HDMI switcher box that has a SEPARATE audio out feature (either digital coax/digital optical/or red/white analog outputs).

So I have three HDMI inputs (1) cable box (2) DVD (3) "smart TV" Sony box. And there is still an extra HDMI input on the front panel for my son's XBox. I use the HDMI output to got to my TV. I use a digital coax to go to my Bose sound system. The switcher box in a Monoprice 5557. Here is a link if you want to see it. It works great!

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
I think you want an AVR.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV_receiver

You can have your Tivo, DVD player and laptop plugged into it. The AVR is connected to your TV via HDMI, and also your stereo system via analog, optical, HDMI or direct to speakers even (depends on your system).
I don't have one, so i can't really give any advice on that. It might not be the cheapest solution either, but i think it's the simplest and easiest.

I tend to go to a site called 'The Wirecutter' when i'm not sure what i want. Even if you don't pick their suggestion, you learn what features to look for in their articles:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-receiver/

littlelamb

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

My tv only has 2 hdmi in ports. If I were to get an av receiver how would the connection between my tv and the receiver go. Would it be from the hdmi out of the receiver to the hdmi in of my tv? I just want to make sure that before I purchase something that it will work and I know how to make the connections, being that I was told by samsung that I couldn't connect any external audio to this tv.

ien2222

Distinguished
Hey there,

You would plug all of your components in the AVR, the use the HDMI out on the AVR and plug it into the TV.

Samsung is probably correct in that the TV you have doesn't support ARC nor have audio outputs in which case you cannot plug your tv to external audio but we aren't going that route.

Diagrams:
Samsung says you can't to this,
Tivo/Wii/DVD/etc -> TV -> External audio.

But what we are telling you to do is this,
Tivo/Wii/DVD/etc -> AVR -> TV

Basically we are feeding both the audio and video feed to the AVR, the AVR does the audio part while at the same time it's passing the video feed off to the TV.

Is this something you were interested in doing?

Michael Feicco

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I see a solution to my problem here but need to ask if I have dish and ruku is this still possible to do it your way mentioned below with?:

"But what we are telling you to do is this,
Tivo/Wii/DVD/etc -> AVR -> TV"

ien2222

Distinguished
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, been gone a couple of days.

Yes, you can plug both the dish and Ruku into the receiver. I know Ruku has HDMI so it's no problem there. Depending on the dish receiver you have, you might only have component hookup (Red, blue, green) and if that's the case, just make sure you get a receiver that has that input. But if the dish is a newer, HD one then it should have HDMI which again, wouldn't be any problem.

If you are using Tivo with your dish, then I believe you run the dish through the Tivo then the Tivo to the AVR. It'll be the same way you hook it up to the TV, just that you'll hook it up to your AVR instead.

wanbushui

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
You would plug all of your components in the AVR, the use the HDMI out on the AVR and plug it into the TV.
19.gif

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
I have a brand new Samsung 55" with ZERO audio out ports. I solved it with an 4 x 1 HDMI switcher box that has a SEPARATE audio out feature (either digital coax/digital optical/or red/white analog outputs).

So I have three HDMI inputs (1) cable box (2) DVD (3) "smart TV" Sony box. And there is still an extra HDMI input on the front panel for my son's XBox. I use the HDMI output to got to my TV. I use a digital coax to go to my Bose sound system. The switcher box in a Monoprice 5557. Here is a link if you want to see it. It works great!

Solution

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
littlelamb

Glad my post worked for you. I am very pleased with the HDMI switcher box I recommended. I like the choice of Digital Coax, Digital Optical or Analog red/white. Some HDMI switcher boxes have zero extra audio "outs" or only Analog red/white (through various plugs or mini plugs. This HDMI swither box gives you a choice of three.

Glad it worked out for you! Enjoy!

Warmest regards

Greg
From Beautiful Oregon

Hogan_713

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

Thanks for the great advice gregates. I think I'm in the same pickle as you but I want to make sure before I pick up this HDMI switcher. I have a new Samsung UN55FH6003FXZA, a 55" LED tv with no audio outputs OR arc HDMI. Everyone is saying there's no way on earth to get a soundbar, which I've already purchased from Samsung, to work with this TV. You're saying that plugging all of my appliances (PS3, Xbox 360, DirecTv Genie) into the HDMI inputs on the switcher, then plugging the HDMI output from the switcher into the TV and the Optical Audio output from the switcher to my Samsung soundbar would make the soundbar play the audio and pass the video to the TV? If this is true I bow at your feet!

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
If this is true I bow at your feet!

ABSOLUTELY it will work.

No bowing necessary. A couple of "we're not worthy's" will work!

Seriously it works great. You just turn down the TV's speakers to zero, then use the remote for your sound bar. Takes about 10 minutes max to hook up.

Warmest regards

Greg
From beautiful Oregon

Jen76

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I have the same problem. I bought a Samsung 65" with no output and a sound bar. If I buy a 4 x 1 hdmi switch like you are talking about and hook it up to me tv how will I be able to hook up the wii? I know the sound bar and blue ray hook up to the switch but not sure how to do the wii. Thanks for any help you can give me!

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Jen, We do not have a Wii. But looking up the specs it sounds like the Wii does NOT have an HDMI output to hook into an HDMI input (be it on a TV or the HDMI switch box I mentioned above). BUT IF the Wii HAS an HDMI output, you are set to go to the HDMI switcher box.

If there is no HDMI output from the Wii, I found a Wii/HDMI adapter (and I am sure there are more than this one I found) that takes your regular Wii output cable and turns it into an HDMI cable.

Here is a link to the Wii to HDMI (1080p) adapter/converter I found:
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Converter-Output-Upscaling-Adapter/dp/B007TS8ZVC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386621720&sr=8-2&keywords=wii+cable+to+hdmi

By using the above mentioned Wii/HDMI adapter, you could hook your Wii directly into the HDMI switch box I recommended above. That would mean your Blue Ray, your cable box, your Wii (using the adapter) would hook directly into the HDMI switcher box, THEN from the HDMI switcher box FIRST directly to your Samsung TV with an HDMI cable and secondly, directly to your good sound system. Remember you can hook up to your sound system via any one of three choices of cables. (either a Digital Coax cable, a Digital Optical cable or the older Analog red/white RCA cables.). Choose one of the two "Digital" options if you can from the HDMI switcher box into your sound system, for much better sound quality versus older analog. I like the Digital Coax myself.

Just turn down/off the TV's internal speakers (don't use them) and use your nice sound system instead for all your TV viewing including you Wii.

Let me know if my response makes sense?

Warmest regards

Greg
From Beautiful Oregon

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Below is my more detailed answer for this "Having no audio out function" on your TV question/solution (for future readers. Might be clearer than my shorter answer above:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a brand new 55" Samsung with ZERO audio outputs (go figure). My 55" Samsung is a model UN55FH6003F

To solve the problem of improving the sound quality versus using the original on-board internal Samsung TV speakers, I bought an HDMI switcher box that has three "separate" audio outputs as well as an HDMI output and 4 HDMI inputs..

So I have three HDMI inputs plugged currently "into" the new HDMI switcher box:
(1) HDMI from my cable box
(2) HDMI from my dvd
(3) HDMI from a "Smart" TV internet box (my TV is not a "smart TV" so this box lets me connect my TV to the Internet)

Then "from" the HDMI switcher box
(1) one HDMI output to my new TV for the TV video
(2) one separate audio Digital output for TV sound

The switcher box I am using, gives you choices of three different types/choices of separate audio outputs to plug into your sound system/sound bar/amplifier/surround sound/BOSE Solo:
(a) digital coax audio
(b) digital optical audio
(c) older analog red/white RCA audio

So I have my audio going from the new HDMI switcher box to a separate audio system (could be any receiver/external speakers/home theater/surround sound/whatever).

For sound, I personally hook into a BOSE Solo system using the Digital COAX audio cable. I chose the BOSE unit because I wanted to control our sound volume with a remote. I just turn off or lower the original TV's crummy speakers only using the BOSE for sound. But ANY separate sound system can be hooked in (a separate Amp/sound bar, whatever)

The HDMI switcher box I am using is a Monoprice 5557 pretty cool and not expensive.

GAMERS you will like this!
There also is a 4th (forth) separate HDMI input on the front of the HDMI switcher box unit, that my son uses for his XBox (or you can hook up to any other gaming system). You may need an HDMI adapter/converter for some gaming systems. Our XBox HAS an HDMI "out" function. Adapter/converters are out there. Just found one for a gamer for their Wii.

Hope this helps!

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Your Audio Signal Cable Choices
for-tutorial-Audio-Cables70_zps2bf30abd.gif

Digital versus Analog
Digital audio cables are meant to transmit a sophisticated high definition audio signal between your audio source component and a component to "play" the sound into your room. The older analog audio cables did the same thing, but they use TWO wires and the sound is nowhere close to as sophisticated. If you spent money to purchase a high definition component to "play" your sound, if at all possible, you want to use one of the three "digital" cabling choices.

The playing component referred to, could be your stereo speakers, a surround sound system, a home theater amplifier, a sound bar etc,. In short, a more sophisticated sound source to "play" your sound, than just simply using the speakers housed inside your TV.

Coaxial Digital Audio Cables Coaxial digital audio cables have a good "tight" fit to your source sound component and your playing component. Sources say that over distance there is a loss of signal quality. Consult your cable source as to what they say for signal quality versus the length of cable distance. Some sources advertise longer cables constructed for longer distance with no or minimal signal quality loss. If you are less than 15 feet, don't give it a a second of thought, you are fine!!!

Optical Digital Audio Cables Optical digital audio cables transmit your sophisticated digital audio signal just like Coaxial (above), but can do it over much greater distances than Coaxial, without having to boost the signal. So if your components are 20 feet apart, use Optical. But, there are limitations. Optical cables use light to transmit the signal. So if you have tight bends in your path from one component to the other, Optical might not be the answer.

Analog Audio Cables Analog audio cables, commonly known as RCA, stereo, or composite audio cables. Prior to the high definition and digital world, we all used these for hooking up our stereo components. Basically color coded one red and one white for a two channel "left" and "right" audio connection (if there is a "third" cable for an analog video signal, it is usually color coded yellow).

High Definition Multimedia Interface Cables Referred to commonly as HDMI cables, this is always your best choice. Remember, the three other choices presented here, ONLY transmit your AUDIO signal from component to component. There ALWAYS has to be a third cable transmitting the VIDEO signal component to component with the other three choices. Example, if you use a Coaxial Digital Audio Cable from your DVD to your high definition TV, you STILL need to run a separate video cable from the DVD to the TV as well. BUT running an HDMI cable from your DVD to the TV transmits a digital signal of BOTH video and audio. You use one cable instead of two. Both the video and the audio signals are digital.

Why I had to use the HDMI switcher box
In my case, I needed to send two SEPARATE signals from my source components (cable box, DVD, Xbox) to [1] first a video from my source component to the TV and [2] second an audio signal from my source component to my separate sound system (in my case my BOSE Solo).

Bottom-line, IF your TV HAS an "Audio Out" plug for any of the above audio cables, use that to go to your separate audio component. Otherwise, my solution detailed above works absolutely great.

Enjoy!

needinfo79

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
if your TV was able to connect to internet without any external box or if your TV had a USB input option then this setup will not work right? Since the TV has no output option, if you play a video through the USB the only option is to use the TV internal speakers for audio. Is that correct?

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
needinfo79

I may be wrong, but so far, every TV that has had [1] an "internal" Internet connection (making it a "Smart TV") and those [2] that had a USB connection, have [3] had the ADDITIONAL "Audio Out" function as well. Thus, using the Audio Out function to link to your sound system, makes the need to hook up a separate method to an external sound source, non existent (like my diagram shows).

needinfo79

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
As you said a TV that has USB input should have had an audio output. Unfortunately the samsing TV I bought didn't have one.I asked the samsung guy same question. So I guess in my case the only option is to go for DVD player that also has USB input.

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Needinfo79,

Make sure I understand correctly.

[1] Your TV has zero audio out functions/connections?
[2] But your TV DOES HAVE at least one USB function/connection?

Questions
[1] Does your TV have ANY HDMI inputs?
[2] What model of Samsung is your TV?
[3] Is your Samsung a "Smart TV" (with an internal Internet capability using a USB connection or CAT 5/6 wiring connection to access an Internet source)?
[4] Are you using or want to use the USB to hook your Samsung TV up to a laptop or computer?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.