Solved! TV without DTS and Soundbar with DTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Ah!

No, the SB is not at fault and it won't save u. The fault is with the TV's OS, and no surprise here.

U have too high of an expectation what a TV USB port will do for you, VERY LITTLE. Short answer is, TV (all TVs) USB ports are limited usability feature, something they put in there to sell u the TV. Do not expect TV USB do all of the things a PC USB attached HD will do for you.

In a perfect world, the TV's OS read your video file whatever...
I think you are worrying about nothing.

TV, what is it? is nothing, doesn't put out anything by itself, is a dumb box that passthrough whatever audio info it's fed to, whether from antenna, cable box, or built-in Apps and whatever Internet channel is sending you.

For the most part don't worry about DTS unless is coming from an Optical disc, and that will be your BR/DVD player, not your TV. And if your SB doesn't support real DTS, the disc in question will have Dolby available. The standard is, they must provide Dolby to you, and DTS as an optional add-on feature.

Dec 21, 2018

The problem is that when i try to play a movie with DTS audio from my external HDD on my Smart TV (Samsung 55NU7172) i am getting an erorr "not supported audio format) and whole movie is muted. I want to know if i get soundbar with DTS, will the DTS audio be played properly in same movie

Ah!

No, the SB is not at fault and it won't save u. The fault is with the TV's OS, and no surprise here.

U have too high of an expectation what a TV USB port will do for you, VERY LITTLE. Short answer is, TV (all TVs) USB ports are limited usability feature, something they put in there to sell u the TV. Do not expect TV USB do all of the things a PC USB attached HD will do for you.

In a perfect world, the TV's OS read your video file whatever and just pass on through the audio signal for your SB or audio system to decode (that's their job) and that will be fine, but alas TVs don't do that, they want to decode the audio information contained in the file themselves (don't ask me why), and of course TVs have a LIMITED set of codecs (the decoder) built-in and DTS is often not one of them. In a PC, if a codec is missing, you just download one from the web right, well on a TV you can't.

U have lots of media on a HD and want to play that, in any conceivable format, use a dedicated HTPC, that will do just about anything.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.