TVs around 40 inches

CRogers

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Hello all,

I'm looking to buy an HD TV around 40 inches (a little smaller or a little bigger, like 36 - 42). This is the area where it seems like I can go with either LCD or Plasma as an option. So I had a couple questions I was hoping people could help me out with.

TV purpose: The TV will be used to play games via the PS3 and the WI. I have hi-def cable line and also plan to watch movies and stream shows over the computer.

1) I hear that LCDs have motion blur on games. Is there a HZ speed (or other quality) that I need to reach (like 120) where this is not an issue?

2) Quality (not price wise) is there any reason not to buy out of a brick and mortar store vs. online?

3) Is 720p acceptable? I am planning on getting 1020p for all the hi-def stuff, but am I wasting money there? Can people tell the difference?

4) If a plasma screen is energy star qualified does it still use considerably more power than an LCD?

5) What is a good solid brand to rely on?

6) The room the TV is going in will be fairly open but there shouldn't be any direct light on the TV. Do you need solid blackness to prevent glare on plasma, or is only direct light the problem?

7) Finally, anyway just have any straightforward recommendations on which style works better.

Thank you to all for their help.

Solution
The following is my opinion:

1) Would need 120 in LCD to remove blur

2) If at all possible buying in store to touch, see the unit and get some advise and of course return within (30) days or less will happen at let's say Best Buy.

3) GET THE 1080P unit at 40 inch there will be a difference and you will be on cutting edge for a long time

4) Look up the answer online or ask employee in store - I LIKE LCD

5) Samsung is the best - LCD!

6) If the cost is not too much more - get the prevent glare screen.

7) LCD is my favorite

Good Luck! :bounce:

silverron

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
The following is my opinion:

1) Would need 120 in LCD to remove blur

2) If at all possible buying in store to touch, see the unit and get some advise and of course return within (30) days or less will happen at let's say Best Buy.

3) GET THE 1080P unit at 40 inch there will be a difference and you will be on cutting edge for a long time

4) Look up the answer online or ask employee in store - I LIKE LCD

5) Samsung is the best - LCD!

6) If the cost is not too much more - get the prevent glare screen.

7) LCD is my favorite

Good Luck! :bounce:

Solution