Solved! Two Acer laptops Get Greenpeace Seal of Approval

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
So Acer's new Aspire 3811TZ and Aspire 3811TZG may not be puke-green like Sony's VAIO W Eco, but that doesn't mean they aren't some of the greenest -- as in eco-friendly -- laptops out there. Part of the company's thin-and-light Timeline series, the two 13.3-inch laptops have been named by Greenpeace as being completely free of those bad-for-the-environment materials, including PVC (polyvinyl chloride) and BFR (brominated flame retardants). Powered by Intel ULV Core 2 Duo CPUs, they are more power-efficient than most and last longer on a charge. There doesn't seem to be an official statement from Acer on availability and price on these models, but we assume like the rest of the Timeline bunch there will be models both north and south of a grand.
Source

Solution
An endorsement from Greenpeace is no great selling point, in my opinion. Although I am glad to see electronics manufacturers creating more environmentally friendly products.

Not sure what the statistics are on the failure rate of Acer laptops, but the Acer I bought my wife 14 months ago has operated flawlessly and she leaves the thing on 24/7.
G

According to posts on this forum Acer laptops seem to fail more often than other brands (or maybe they just sell more because they're cheap, but they still fail).

Adding to landfill and energy wasted to replace them -- not so green after all.

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
An endorsement from Greenpeace is no great selling point, in my opinion. Although I am glad to see electronics manufacturers creating more environmentally friendly products.

Not sure what the statistics are on the failure rate of Acer laptops, but the Acer I bought my wife 14 months ago has operated flawlessly and she leaves the thing on 24/7.

Solution