Two days ago

zackw419

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
............I spilled about half a glass of water on my laptop, while it was on.

I have a toshiba satelite...I heard a crackling noise which sounded like the fan or somthing, and the computer automatically went to sleep/hibernate not sure which but the screen went black.

I immediately turned the laptop upside down and didnt turn the power off for mabye about 10 seconds or less (I thought it was off when the screen went out).

so Its been drying for two days in front of a fan, upside down and opened....1 night in I turned it on and I got a black screen saying something about please plug in the ethernet and the laptop was beeping loudly, before that, I managed to login and it would automatically type uuuuuuuu over and over, but everything else functioned.

so I was hopefull but not sure on my situation. Today I turned it on and everything works fine....there are no signs of a problem.

The only thing I do notice is I beleive it gets a bit warmer now...and it vibrates a BIT more than it did before when in use....I THINK, I am not toally sure on the vibrating part but it does get noticably warmer. ( I have been using it for an hour now and no part of it is hot...

I have noticed its warmer right bellow the arrow keys which is new for me...

what should I do from here? what are the chances of my success? Im feeling pretty good right now...just trying to stay positive.

Hello zackw419;

I don't think there is a lot more than you can do beyond what you've already done. (which was exactly the right thing to do - except maybe for turning it on right after the spill).
Since you have the laptop runing you're probably going to be OK.
Continue to monitor the laptop. Be sure to keep all your personal files and data backed up.

zackw419

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

So, is there anything I can do NOW while my laptop is working that might prevent the need for future repair or mabye make future repair less costly?

I had someone on another board tell me just now that since the water that spilled 'surely wasnt pure h2o' whatever it leaves behind will sit on the motherboard and cause a short.

What are your thoughts on this?

If he was right your board would have shorted out already?
They would have been talking about distilled or demineralized water.

You could disassemble the laptop and look for residue left behind, and the other things mentioned in that link above. Im just not sure that might not cause as many problems as you hope to prevent.