Two New Different ASUS laptops give me the same clickpad issue and I can't fix it

Jul 31, 2018
Hi,

I have a big problem and I need to know if it's common to all ASUS owners and if it can be fixed. I bought an ASUS Zenbook 13 (UX331UN) almost a month ago, and I noticed a weird thing: If I'm not touching the clickpad, I press a key on the keyboard, then I immediately touch the clickpad, it doesn't respond for about two seconds, after that it starts working normally, even if I keep typing; but if I stop typing and using the clickpad for a few seconds, then I start typing again, then I use the clickpad, it doesn't respond for a couple of seconds. Weirdly enough, if I start using the clickpad **before** I start typing, it keeps working normally while i type. I tried to fix this in any possible way, but nothing worked. I updated the drivers, obviously, I looked for a setting, I changed all the settings I could find, I uninstalled the drivers to use the windows 10 basic drivers, nothing. I tried to restore windows, but even in the windows' install screens the clickpad had the same issue. I contacted ASUS support center, they told me it had to be an hardware problem, so I gave the laptop back.

I bougth an ASUS Vivobook 14 (S406UA). I immediately doublecked the clickpad, it worked properly, so I was happy. After about an hour I was using the laptop, the clickpad suddenly started giving me the same exact problem of the previous laptop, and again, I can't fix it, I tried everything, but nothing still works. This is driving me crazy.

Once it started, the issue never stops, even in safe mode, when it's charging, when it's not, all the time. I don't know, maybe it's Windows 10 and the windows 10 clickpad settings mess with the ASUS ones, but even if I use only the windows 10 drivers I can't fix it...

Do people with a new ASUS laptop (maybe one of these 2 models) have the same issue with the clickpad? Can you suggest me something else to try?

I can't believe I found two different laptop models with the same hardware damage. And I'm sure for the first hour I used this one the clickpad didn't have this issue, same thing for the model showed in the store, the clickpad was the first thing I checked.

Thank you

Solution
Here is a thread link which I believe might also be able to assist you then:

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3175079/asus-rog752vs-touchpad-issue.html

Obiously this thread is not in relation to your model and in fact is even slightly unrelated to your exact issue, however it may be worth a shot to analyze the thread and try to apply to it your own issue with a bit of investigation whilst looking at the couple of different solutions offered up within it in particular to see if you can get it sorted - worth a shot IMO (noting that randomdev seemed to have his problems with a G701VI fixed by one of the solutions offered up - so that's a zenbook and a ROG with similar issues relating to touchpad fixed by the responses here)!

Feel...

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
Hi there,

First of all I will be honest with you and let you know that I do not own one of the models you are talking about.

That being said, I will assume that when you say "clickpad" that you are actually referring to the touchpad - if this is correct then it seems that with a brief Google search I conducted that many people have issues with the touchpad functions of ASUS laptops.

Without knowing exactly what setting you were able to find, and what you may or may not have tried, it seems that many people in the same boat as you are pointing their finger toward the Smart Gesture functionality available with ASUS lappies.

Have you tried "disabling" the Smart Gesture functionality?

If this is able to fix the problem you are having then you could go from there in relation to finding a fix whereby this functionality does not need to be "disabled" but until then ... give the "disabling" Smart Gesture functionality a shot if it is in fact enabled on your machine ATM.

You can find instructions on how to "disable" Smart Gesture functionality for your model via the following link (noting that the webpage says you cannot actually disable the function but make it "feel like disabled through the setting" - hence my use of qoutation marks around the word "disabled" as per the previous paragraphs:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1009641

Hope you find this helpful but as always, if it was not then someone will get involved with a solution that is hopefully definitive for you - let us know how you go.

Cheers

Jul 31, 2018
Thank you for your time and suggestions.

I should have said that I found people complaining about smart gestures either, think is this two new laptops I'm talking about abandoned the smart gestures driver (I think it's because ASUS noticed it was creating issues with windows 10 so they just stopped using it), so I don't have it. I have an ASUS PTP drivers (precision touchpad), I find that one even in the asus driver update page for these two models, and it has no option whatsover, it simply allow to use the windows 10 settings with the asus touchpad.

I tried to uninstall it, install smart gestures, disable smart gestures, but it still doesn't fix the problem.

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
Here is a thread link which I believe might also be able to assist you then:

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3175079/asus-rog752vs-touchpad-issue.html

Obiously this thread is not in relation to your model and in fact is even slightly unrelated to your exact issue, however it may be worth a shot to analyze the thread and try to apply to it your own issue with a bit of investigation whilst looking at the couple of different solutions offered up within it in particular to see if you can get it sorted - worth a shot IMO (noting that randomdev seemed to have his problems with a G701VI fixed by one of the solutions offered up - so that's a zenbook and a ROG with similar issues relating to touchpad fixed by the responses here)!

Feel free to post back though - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread with interest at the very least.

Edit: here is another link which with myself just looking at it VERY QUICKLY may be of interest to you and the problems you are facing (is it an Elan touchpad?):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7cpf8k/get_rid_of_the_terrible_asus_smart_gesture_and/

Solution