Two New SecuROM Lawsuits Filed Against Electronic Arts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
This is great. We really needed companies to see that they only punish the legitimate users of the product. You can get just about any game out there for free, and cracked. These people are already downloading products that are multiple gigs in size, so I don't think they mind a little bit a hassle for a crack. It's really easy to play pirated games, not to mention most major titles have a patched install on a few torrent with secure-rom removed.

I've said this once, and I'll say it again. Use Steam. Great service, and it deters most pirates. They'd be having fewer issues that way.

I've spoke to friends of mine when EA spoke about limiting the number of installs, and some of them were more inclined to pirate the game, because he's end up doing it anyway with the constant reformats.

G

I don't understand how damages for these three lawsuits could possibly amount to millions of dollars. The combined cost of three high-end PCs would be thousands, certainly not millions. I agree that SecuROM is a nasty little program and EA needs to explore options to control piracy. But still. $5,000,000???

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Don't understand?? Are you slow or, did you eat paint chips as a kid because it is prett obvious at this point why people are so pissed off. I say sue the !!!@ out of them at this point. I had to reinstall my OS because of Far Cry 2 locking up in mid the other day and it screwed my OS up so bad I had no choice but to reinstall. That is one of my fu@@ing installs?? Because their game is buggy to hell and back that is one of my installs?? The funny thing is they patched it with a 40mb patch the other day and it still does the same crap.......... Sue Sue away people.

G

1. The Spore lawsuit was the first lawsuit; it is not a new suit
2. There is an additional suit against EA for Mass Effect
3. The high damages are because they are class action suits -- they are on behalf of everyone who bought the game, who would be entitled to his/her money back. Spore sold more than one million units, so $5 million is probably low.

badboy4dee

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Sorry Claudia I don't mean in insult a lady as that's just disgusting when it happens. But I have to agree with truhighroller on this. These companies are installing root kits in your kernal of your OS. You are not notified that it is installing so it shows willfull neglect. Being unable to uninstall or update it shows negligent responsibility for their product. If I was a "h@cker" and I install a root kit or just a virus without you knowing it... I go to jail or slapped with a fine. Big companies call it a standard way of doing business. We the consumer have no say so and they WILL NOT listen or support ANY issues indicating their is a root kit installed on your OS. Their CEO and higher ups makes MILLIONS and workers make ....what $10 bucks an hour? SUE SUE SUE their ever lovin panties off their heads I say. STF'ers DOWN!! I don't care how good the game is, they root, we h@ck&C@cK 1t babyyyy! no root or steam it I'm fine with that as most are. Kudos Tindytim steam rokz!

TSM

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
See maybe I might be on the suers side, but then I'll on the same side as immature spazs like badboy4dee(what a surprise there...)

People would listen to you if didn't act like a immature ADHD kid who didn't get their meds for a week.

G

I take pride that I never pirate anything, and I stand on my moral high ground when my friends and family mock me.

Yesterday, I went out and bought Fallout 3 for PC.
I am an adult, former hardcore gamer, who is now limited in time for playing.

get home try to install the game and do some playing.

Securom error as I try to install the game saying I have emulators running?? and a link to a website that would not work (Guess the server was over burdened)

got the game to install, but still go the error when trying to run the game.

$70.00 after tax, many hours of trying to get onto the Securom website or trying other things (I removed my copy of Nero, and cakewalk pyro which I use often when I make music.. nope)

$70 + 4- 5 hour of frustration = no playing and unhappy consumer.

I still have not played the game, as I gave up last night trying to get onto the securom website to get the patch they have.

two words for this crap
second word rhymes with eew and the first one starts with "f" and ends with "ck" and it is not firetruck!

note, the mocking of my non pirating ways has gone up because of this.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
O and the newt...

its not securom that installed on yoru hdd, fallout 3 has a minimal securom protection, there is probably something wrong with your dvd-drive... lotta people had this problem, strange problem considering they only have a disk check...

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]claudia64[/nom]I don't understand how damages for these three lawsuits could possibly amount to millions of dollars. The combined cost of three high-end PCs would be thousands, certainly not millions. I agree that SecuROM is a nasty little program and EA needs to explore options to control piracy. But still. $5,000,000???[/citation]

Its a class action lawsuit, so if they win anyone who purchased the game would share in the damages. So if 5 million people claim damages on spore each person would get less then a dollar.

G

This is awesome!!! If companies that use securom keep getting hit with lawsuits they'll likely stop using it.

frozenlead

Distinguished
I agree with the guy up there. Steam would solve 80% of these problems, if not more. Plus, it makes PC gaming much, much easier to use for those people who don't know what a gigahertz is. More user friendly, less piracy - the only deterrent I can see is that it would pull the gaming world into a Valve controlled monopoly...but hey, they manage hundreds of games right now, and I don't see people talking crap about it.
I love Steam. No CD keys after the first install, no time spent hunting down discs and such. Steam makes life easy.

G

anti piracy isn't a waste of time... its necessary for businesses... but is securom/drm crap the answer... No. No its not

Anti piracy = steam or a BETTER version of DRM... one that would allow a certain number of installs and you can't play the game till you register online... not via some software... I know its not perfect... but who wants to hack a game and stay offline... anyway and then once a certain amount of time goes by like a reasonable amount... couple of weeks maybe the install is then removed and you can install it somewhere else... the problem with that is then you say... well what happens if i want to re-format and then re-install the game... the thing that needs to happen there then... is good customer service...

they need a good idea... and good support... and currently... only steam offers that

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
It's true what's been mentionned in here; if it's good, people will buy it. I've bought 100% of the games made by Blizzard, I've bought the Baldur's Gate series, Doom series, Quake series, etc... I've spent so much it's crazy, but the headaches pirates have to deal with with patches & re-hacking the executables & stuff I never had.

I've dealt with SecuROM a single time, and I've had to format completely. Since then, EVERY SINGLE GAME that has SecuROM that I was interested in, I've, well, I've gotten them on "special", yet I still buy other games (most recent were Sins of a Solar Empire & The Witcher)

Screw you up the a$$ EA & Sony. And with the decline of the PC gaming industry because of said piracy (or so they claim), I hope to god hackers unleash their fury on the consoles & hack it to hell & back. I can't stand friggin console controllers for ANY game, KB + multi-button mouse FTW.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Psychonauts
Zack & Wiki
Snatcher
Beyond Good & Evil
Ico
Rule of Rose

Are only a few of the many counter examples that prove that great games don't always sell well.
Just because a game is good doesn't mean it will sell well. Halo was the pinnacle of mediocrity, and it's become a flagship title for the Xbox brand selling over 20 million copies over 3 games.

Marketing, "gritty" graphics, and some mediocre gameplay will get you loads of sales. Doing something original and innovative will be taking a huge chance even if the game is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.