Two routers one network wireless

Solution

Are you wanting this setup for maximum performance or for maximum cheapness?

Performance:
Set your virgin modem/rotuer into modem-only mode, setup asus as primary router.
Run ethernt line (or use powerline adpater) to connect Asus to another router that is configured as access point.
This setup allows your much more powerfull asus router to handle all of the router functions and then provides stronger wifi in basement.
Using your weak ISP provided router is like towing your working...
You can have 2 routers on a network but it is 90% of the time not a good situation.

Router's create a seperation between the devices connected to the router and the outbound connection going to the internet.
Thus devices connected to router1 will not be able to connect to any devices behind router 2. It also means that if you ever want to port forward you will need to set this up on both routers.

So what you need to do comes down to your purpose of having 2 routers.
If say you are sharing an internet connection and you want to keep your devices private then carry on you want the second router to issoalate your network

If router 1 is a modem/router combo from your ISP you should put that modem/router into bridge mode/modem only mode so it is not acting as a router

If you have a modem, then router 1 and router 2 then router 1 should be the most high end router, and router 2 should be reconfigured as an access point.
An access point allows another router to function as an extension to the primary router and the primary router still provide all addressing and routing functions allowing the devices connected to both routers to act as a single large network.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
"You can have 2 routers on a network "
"Router's create a seperation (sic) between the devices connected to the router and the outbound connection going to the internet."

Again, you can't have two routers on the same network... You can have MULTIPLE networks though. But again as you reiterate - this creates a seperate network.

It is also ill advised due to double nating and is NOT the way that subnets are done. If a subnet is what you need please ask and we can provide instruction on how to do it correctly - a second router is not ideal.

kylegamer45

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014

sorry my bad i have my original virgin wifi router and a asus router but i want to boost my internet downstairs and how would you suppose i do that? i want both routers on the same network.Well too be honest my virign router does have a modem mode

Are you wanting this setup for maximum performance or for maximum cheapness?

Performance:
Set your virgin modem/rotuer into modem-only mode, setup asus as primary router.
Run ethernt line (or use powerline adpater) to connect Asus to another router that is configured as access point.
This setup allows your much more powerfull asus router to handle all of the router functions and then provides stronger wifi in basement.
Using your weak ISP provided router is like towing your working powerfull diesel truck with you much less powerfull 6cyl gas truck (instead of the other way around).

Cost:
Run ethernt line (or use powerline adpater) to connect virgin modem/router to Asus router and reconfigure asus router ot be access point.

Solution

kylegamer45

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014

alright essentially i have a tp link powerline