two samsung tv's in same room with Directv- 2 remotes that conflict with each other supposedly because Samsung has universal r

basil321

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Wife just purchased Samsung smart tv with direct tv std receiver. Other Samsung tv has dvr with HDMI dvr receiver. According to Directv techs they have no clue. Samsung techs have different opinions. One says "cannot use to Samsungs in same room, move to another place". My wife suggests the garage. The other tech says just cover one of the TV's to shield it from the other. Did not work.
A nice option would be appreciated.

Solution

TVs made by the same manufacturer will usually use identically coded remotes, or very similar codes. They can't be placed in the same room without interfering with each other. I'd actually be surprised if the DirecTV remotes don't interfere with each other.

You can use a universal RF remote, which includes a small IR transmitter that you can place over the IR sensor on one of the TVs; then completely shield that sensor from outside light.

Or, you can purchase a TV from a different manufacturer.

BuddhaSkoota

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

TVs made by the same manufacturer will usually use identically coded remotes, or very similar codes. They can't be placed in the same room without interfering with each other. I'd actually be surprised if the DirecTV remotes don't interfere with each other.

You can use a universal RF remote, which includes a small IR transmitter that you can place over the IR sensor on one of the TVs; then completely shield that sensor from outside light.

Or, you can purchase a TV from a different manufacturer.

Solution