Two Technologies to Make the Holodeck Real

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Wa Wa Wee Wa!!! That would be really intense. I would live on the Holodeck. No need to work, or talk to anyone after having one of those nifty devices!

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Now we just need 5 large rear projection screens for the walls and some cold plasma force fields with electromagnetic shaping and we'll be set.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Arthur C Clarke is credited with inventing the communications satellite, even though he didnt build it he came up with the idea.In years to come, will Gene Roddenberry be credited with the invention of holodecks? Transporters? Warp drive?Why not go the whole hog and credit Roddenberry with inventing the iPad, he certainly deserves the credit for floating the inspiration.[/citation]
Not to mention cellphones looking awfully similar to the old school trek communicators.

reklatsa

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
There was a programme about these on UK TV recently where they showed someone drunkenly walking along the streets of Pompeii. Neat but noisy.

I can see replacement hips, knee-caps and robotic hands are going to be an area of medicine that will have to be worked on if people are going to start paint-balling their bedroom walls on these things.

Seriously though, I can finally see an opportunity for indulgent American children to lose weight before they're struck by an MI in their teens.

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Quoted wrong one above, my bad. Supposed to be:
[citation][nom]perpetual98[/nom]That makes me tired just thinking about running from Northshire Abbey to face Hogger...[/citation]

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]Now we just need 5 large rear projection screens for the walls and some cold plasma force fields with electromagnetic shaping and we'll be set.[/citation]
Hahaha!!

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]I had this idea when I was 7! And you could walk any direction you wanted![/citation]

Ya so did I, but I didn't go out and make it a reality. (I'm not trying to diminish your creativity here... just being blunt)

Just by "thinking something up" doesn't mean you've invented a tangible piece of tech and should be credited for it. Go out and plan it, get a patent, build it (or sue the person who builds it based on your patent). This all takes serious time and money.

hehe, Windows 7 was my idea... but you don't see my name on the credits.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
OK, so they need to put the bi-directional treadmill on hydraulic tilts (e.g. like some of the "rides" at Universal Studios, or an Air Force flight sim) so that you can go up and down hills, and walk cross-slope. Then they need to glue those tiles from McGill to the treadmill surface so that they can simulate a variety of surfaces. Perhaps they should even attach pneumatic pistons between the treadmill and the tiles so that they can simulate bumpy terrain and other uneven surfaces. It all sounds very doable. Very expensive... but doable.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Dude, this with a quad sli (the pc would be stored in a refrigerator), crysis 2 equals epic mindrape because you wouldn't be able to distinguish real life from crysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.