U.S. Aims To Declare Cyber Attacks as Acts of War

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
anyone read this part

" nation's infrastructure, in particular nuclear reactors, subways or pipelines"

is it scaring any one else that nuclear reactors, subways or pipelines are connected to the internet and not a closed network?

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]wild9[/nom]Wasn't there some controversy surrounding the source of the attacks on Iran's nuclear program? Couldn't have come at a better time for some Whitehouse interests, I guess. Paves the way for future legislation.Put simply, and with all due respect. Before firing one single missile and potentially adding to the millions thus far caught in the cross-fire, establish who the enemy actually is, and whether they're actually guilty. Because to be honest, this is bloody war-mongering to me. If there were a credible, serious hacking threat then wouldn't logic suggest it would have been done already? Further, if you are going to bomb somebody to hell, over a premise, then I damn well hope it has the backing of the American people, including unanimous support within congress.This government obviously likes to talk about security..look at lack of security on it's own borders. Why the HELL are they lecturing others about threats from faces (and now terminals) afar, when right under their own nose their own noses they have a well-documented problem, that each successive administration has so far seemingly failed to deal with in an effective and fair manner? The US/Mexican border situation is an epic sham. But hey, why should there be solutions when there's plenty of money to be made oiling the cogs of the corporate/military complex...Footnote: This is my opinion. I do not support terrorism, I support free speach and peaceful resolution. Even if it isn't profitable.[/citation]

Excellent observations.

ISRAEL AND CHINA are known as MAJOR centers of "hacking" or cyber terrorism.

Funny how these two countries are major enemies of the US but you'll NEVER ever hear about it from our edomite controlled media in the US.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jsc[/nom]Let's say that you are in the hospital undergoing some sort of abdominal surgery and someone crashes the hospital network ...Let's say you are coming in for a landing at a major airport and someone crashes the ATC system ...Let's say ...[/citation]

planes can be landed manualy, we have pilots

surgeries are done by humans, and with power from sockets, not over the internet with robots (normal surgeries)

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]anyone read this part" nation's infrastructure, in particular nuclear reactors, subways or pipelines"is it scaring any one else that nuclear reactors, subways or pipelines are connected to the internet and not a closed network?[/citation]
It's madness to connect these infrastructures to the internet.

_tus_

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Like all things, this will be in degrees - which I'm sure the doctrine when released will cover. I highly doubt we would go to war with someone who say, hacks a website or something. But things like taking out our finacial institutions, attacking our energy production (taking out the electrical grid for example) or disabling sensitive assets could easily be seen as an act of war. When disabling those systems with bytes produces the same results as a bomb there is no difference in the hostile act. Its only those who are naive who believe that cyberspace is only a bastion of good when in fact it is no different than a gun - its actions all depend on the wielder.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I'm sure the reactors arn't on an open network (closed system), but that doesn't mean our plans on them are. With that said I would consider it an act of war, if somebody was actually able to take down our electrical grid, or subways. But heres the problem I see.. Don't like a country hey lets just say they did this...

O wait... Looks like that doesn't matter we do that anyways, so this won't change a thing.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
O just to throw this out there, I love america (what is founded on and stands for), I'm in the military, but that doesn't mean for a damn second I got to agree with are government on everything they do. It's gotten way to big for it's own good, and the politicians only care about themselves, but it's our own doing.

G

Erm, since when have governments been savvy enough to hack anything? If nuclear reactors and stuff like that are wired to the internet then what about those missile guidance systems? I'd be a tad cautious before pulling the trigger in case that gets hacked too... Gotta love military intelligence.

tommydyhr

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]planes can be landed manualy, we have pilotssurgeries are done by humans, and with power from sockets, not over the internet with robots (normal surgeries)[/citation]
Dude, ATC is Air Traffic Control, and has essentially nothing to do with landing a plane.
As the name states, it's the way the traffic is managed in an airport. Who lands where, and when. If this fcks up, it WILL have serious consecuences.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]thinkagainFQ2[/nom]Erm, since when have governments been savvy enough to hack anything? If nuclear reactors and stuff like that are wired to the internet then what about those missile guidance systems? I'd be a tad cautious before pulling the trigger in case that gets hacked too... Gotta love military intelligence.[/citation]

Uh what? guidance systems being connected to the internet... do you even know wtf a missile is?

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I see a bunch of treehuggers. You dont like the decision dont hack the government. Simple as that. So go hug a tree.

zinabas

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]PabloGuy[/nom]He who lives by the sword will die by the sword.[/citation]
Yes and those that support this corrupt government should be in the same shithole prison with all the politicians when we go to war with the wrong people and lose because some corporations interests are at stake.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
[citation][nom]doomdesire1[/nom]"If you shut down our power grid, maybe we will put a missile down one of your smokestacks,"Thats how we do it in America! USA USA USA[/citation]
I hope you´re being sarcastic.

Either way, it´s because of people that actually believe in this is why the US is hated by a lot of people arround the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.