U.S. Air Force Buying 2,200 PlayStation 3s

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
makes me wonder why did they choose ps3 over xbox360...
I guess this solves all the fanboy-ish issues in terms of superiority and power (not including the outdated graphic card).

unfortunately sony won't make a single dime outta this sale coz as THEEEEEEEEY say, the manufacturing cost is still higher than the sale price (yes I know... am talking about the slim ps3).

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
This reminds me of the rumored ps2 shortage when it first came out with Sadom buying them for missile guidance systems but that was a smelly load. Cheers to whom ever picked these since they are bang for buck as one other poster had stated. It is a shame that the cell is being killed off at IBM.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]This is a very clever way to score high powered CPUs at Sony's expense, it's a wonder Sony hasn't come out with some sort of "patch" that blocked clustering from taking place. Is this the reason that the new slim PS3 has no linux support? Sony finally got tired of taking a loss on all these supercomputer projects?For those curious, the IBM Roadrunner supercomputer uses a variant of the Cell chip, 12,000 of them in fact. The extended cost per chip is $10,000 (including support hardware). If the Air Force can get their PS3 network running for $300 per chip plus a little extra (say $300 more per station) for support equipment like network, power, and cooling, they will still only be paying $600 per node compared to $10,000 per node the 'old fashioned way'.Now that's a government spending reduction I can get behind![/citation]

I thought Sony divested in all future Cell technologies and sold all their rights to it, so Roadrunner etc. wouldn't matter to them. If that's the case wouldn't this still be in Sony's favor since the Air Force is buying a Sony product vs. an Intel/AMD solution?

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]makes me wonder why did they choose ps3 over xbox360...I guess this solves all the fanboy-ish issues in terms of superiority and power (not including the outdated graphic card).unfortunately sony won't make a single dime outta this sale coz as THEEEEEEEEY say, the manufacturing cost is still higher than the sale price (yes I know... am talking about the slim ps3).[/citation]

Yeah this does solve the fanboy crap. I guess they figured out that the PS3's weren't good for gaming, so they found something that the PS3 can succeed at.

Congratulations Sony.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]makes me wonder why did they choose ps3 over xbox360...I guess this solves all the fanboy-ish issues in terms of superiority and power (not including the outdated graphic card).unfortunately sony won't make a single dime outta this sale coz as THEEEEEEEEY say, the manufacturing cost is still higher than the sale price (yes I know... am talking about the slim ps3).[/citation]
This is all bullshit if you ask me. So far noone yet after they released Slim all this PR is killing me. The fact that NOW that the slim is out they have blocked Linux etc from the console , they are seriously telling me that they are buying PS3s for researches? with what sceptical is that happening? Tesla would be their answer. Power servers from Nvidia if they need the power and HD capabilities for their researches and shit.. Not PS3s that are now blocked fully. It just doesnt make any sence. I would love someone from the press ( Toms you guys woud be great ) if you asked one by one all those, like the police and now them , saying they buy PS3 for research with no linux capabilties. What for? How will they use them? It just doesnt add up if you ask me.

The onlyone that smells like a fanboy is you for making that comparison, yet every clueless fanboy that would start comparing and shit, like you right now for example, will be able enough to tell you that the 360 is graphically way more capable than the PS3... Which isnt relevant to the cell processor in the way they want to use it in those cases but I guess you need some pointers to get that right. Its like you compare an Ati 9000 with a 8800GTX. ( have had both models over the years .. miss the good Ati years )

rzcarguy86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Why not just order whatever they need as a custom device instead of buying the actual console? Seems kinda odd that the U.S.A.F. has to purchase a retail product - a gaming console at that - to get their hands on some technology they seem to want. I don't know, it just seems like something a developing nation would do....not the USA.[/citation]

its very simple. cost is the reason. if they buy 2200 consoles at 300 each ($660,000), it has all the hardware integrataed into it, it is a low power (relatively), have a small footprint, and are highly mobile.

if they were to go out and build or buy a custom set up, the way the government has piles of red tape and contracting fiasco's it would probably cost more than double (this is a defense system, so its not as simple as setting up IT).

if you can save money and achieve your objective, there is absolutly nothing wrong with that. Now if the rest of the government would spend money as wisely as this group.... just think of how much the budget of the US would drop :)

chesterman86

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]QuiggyB[/nom]Thats silly, IBM sells cell based blade servers that can run whatever you want, take as much RAM as you want, and have faster processors than what comes in the PS3.[/citation]
no one is say this isn't true, but the cost/performance offered by the ps3 is unmatched. in the University of São Paulo there is a small cluster of 10 PS3 doing some calculations related to the genoma project.
Every single person involved in the project said that the PS3 cluster reduced costs both in energy and the real cost of the hardware.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
they do know they can't run linux on them any more?

and yeah, they will be using the cpu, that is probably still many times more powerful than the i9, not the crappy outdated nvidia 7800 equivalent gpu. this has nothing to do with which console is best.

the cell chip has been discontinued anyway.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]rzcarguy86[/nom]its very simple. cost is the reason. if they buy 2200 consoles at 300 each ($660,000), it has all the hardware integrataed into it, it is a low power (relatively), have a small footprint, and are highly mobile.if they were to go out and build or buy a custom set up, the way the government has piles of red tape and contracting fiasco's it would probably cost more than double (this is a defense system, so its not as simple as setting up IT).if you can save money and achieve your objective, there is absolutly nothing wrong with that. Now if the rest of the government would spend money as wisely as this group.... just think of how much the budget of the US would drop[/citation]
A part of me agrees with you, but a part of me doesn't. To this day, the US government is engaged in research and development of technologies, particularly in energy and military projects. I just found it odd that they would be out to buy PS3s to extract the component(s) they need. That sounds the same as if the Canadian government would be buying 2200 blenders because it needed the blades for something in their CANDU nuclear reactors. Come on, we're talking about the U.S.A.F. here. Just get the parts you need - why buy the entire product. Not to mention, they should have put out a fair bidding proposal. Who knows, maybe Walmart would have been able to get it for them for less :p

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Why don't they just buy the CPU instead of the whole PS3 unit????

Because they're gonna strip the PS3's board down anyway - unless they plan on watching Blu-Ray movies while they monitor Air Force activity...

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
@manos: i don't have a PS3... now how ya gonna erase all the things you said about this fanboy who has not a PS3... ummm i wonder.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
They are buying ready to go PS3s because they are just that, ready to go.....

If they bought just the CPUs they still need the rest of the system to deploy them....think people....

And for all the idiots who dont read...they need the ones before they blocked the custom OSs....did anyone read the fucking article?!

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]They are buying ready to go PS3s because they are just that, ready to go.....If they bought just the CPUs they still need the rest of the system to deploy them....think people....And for all the idiots who dont read...they need the ones before they blocked the custom OSs....did anyone read the fucking article?![/citation]

Impatiently not. :lol:

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I can just see the next Air Force commercial...

Airman Snuffy: "Major, there's an asteroid headed for our satellite!"

Major Deadweight: "ZOMG! Airman Snuffy, take evasive action!"

Airman Snuffy quickly picks up his PS3 controller. *boop*boop*beep*beep*.

Airman Snuffy: "We did it, Major. Global catastrophe has been avoided."

Major Deadweight: "Hell yeah. Now who wants to get pwned in LittleBigPlanet!?"

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Multiply the money Sony looses on each of the older units and multiply that by 2,200. OUCH. Yeah I don't think they are gonna make money from software sales off of those units. In order to make money on the PS3, Sony needs units in the hands of gamers, not those building a cheap cluster. Oh well :D.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
That's just great what happens when one of these goes bad like so many do. Will it mess up a computer used for our defenses? I'm in repair & have seen so many bad ones-not nearly as much as 360's but still much higher than a normal CPU which very rarely fails.

G

Ladies and Gents,

Cell has NOT been discontinued. Only a variant of the chip has been canceled. The next version is still on track and cell is alive and well at both Sony and IBM.

Cheers!

vancouverboy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]That's just great what happens when one of these goes bad like so many do. Will it mess up a computer used for our defenses? I'm in repair & have seen so many bad ones-not nearly as much as 360's but still much higher than a normal CPU which very rarely fails.[/citation]FYI, there's something call Extended Warranty... you know i'm not serious

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Forgive me for my ignorance, but the ATI Radeon HD 5970 puts out 5 TeraFLOPS of processing power. Wouldn't these cards be a much better source of performance per unit cost over a PS3? Seems like a few of these would blow away the PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS