U.S. Broadband: Desperate Ideas Of An Industry That Resists Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjamess

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Great article, I too feel like we are all being taken advantage of when it comes to broadband. But what about the fact that population density isn't nearly as high as the "top 10" countries? I don't have any hard numbers to back me up, but I can only assume it costs a LOT more to wire America than it would to wire up any European country, Japan, etc. Back up what you are saying with some facts, would love to see more details.

jjamess

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Great article, I too feel like we are all being taken advantage of when it comes to broadband. But what about the fact that population density isn't nearly as high as the "top 10" countries? I don't have any hard numbers to back me up, but I can only assume it costs a LOT more to wire America than it would to wire up any European country, Japan, etc. Back up what you are saying with some facts, would love to see more details.

G

Here I thought my 100Mb/s Telus residential internet was fast and you've had 3Gb/s internet for years!

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Face it. Established players who became ISPs will not be satisfied until they have absolute control. If you live in a house with 4 people and all 4 people use the internet, the ISPs want every individual to have to pay for the use. Otherwise they are "losing revenue" to these "internet service pirates" who are stealing their service. Why, they should be making $200 for that household @ $50 per user. Instead, they're getting a measly $50. That $150 x 12 months = $1800 per year that they are "losing", per household. That's probably trillions in lost revenue. Congress needs to step in and outlaw these internet service pirates. And award us penalties of (let's see, $100 - no $250) of $250 per gigabyte - did I say gigabyte? I meant megabyte of upload/download to send a message to these thieves.

It's their mentality of entitlement. It's the same with music, film and television.

If you want to listen to/watch that song/video on DVD, fine, just buy it. Oh, you want to listen to it on your computer as well? You need to buy another "license" for that. On an PMP device? That's an additional fee. They won't rest until it's, "You wanted to hear that song more than once? Well, it's only 25 cents for that - each listen. Otherwise we're "losing" money here (poor us)."

Everyone but them is a thief and a liar. They are the only ones who get it, but they're willing to educate us poor techno-savages, for our own good, of course. After all, there's just so much bandwidth to go around. We don't want to use up all the internets out there and leave none for our children, do we?

Status
Not open for further replies.