U.S. Could Send Military to Deal With Hackers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]I like the idea of shooting the Asian and Russian hackers that feel the need to target US ecommerce sites.[/citation]

I like the idea of shooting American pilots that feel the need to target competitor's oil installations.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am amused beyond measure at how this is being perceived and discussed. Just a reminder, the way we operate in the real world is slightly different that people think we operate in the imaginary world (film, tv, games, etc).

The lesson here, don't believe everything you read. There is a huge difference between capability and probability of use.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]I like the idea of shooting American pilots that feel the need to target competitor's oil installations.[/citation]

I like the idea of shooting dipshits that post comments such as this

G

Geeks Approved: People should try and realise what is happing and why, based on history. Look at the whole picture rather then a bit of it, i.e. what is currently happening in context. To gain something illegally, one needs to destabilise a region in order to take what they can behind the scenes. They not gona go there for free and for the sake of people lives and what other list of reasons they use. If they were so committed to the cause of introducing peace then why not go help the Burmese people, people on Congo, etc. Why go to a region when other parts of the world are/were more in need…

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
There's plenty of proof now that the United States takes terrorism very seriously, and it will take whatever measures necessary for protections and deterrence.

Cough. Mexican border. Cough.

gamoniac

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
For thosse who disagree, hackers do not hack into the white house to steal your visa card number.

If you don't think a national defense is necessary against hackers, DO NOT cry or piss your pants when terrorists/hackers hijack your airlines' computer system and initiate a mass auto-pilot into the mountains. Or when they shuts down power plants in the middle of -20C winter. It is within our flipping rights to defense our nation. This is national security matter.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Bunch of BS.This is just another attack on open ended free speech of the internet(aka your Freedom).Here's why:1. The military is completely immune to anything that goes on in the internet(even shutdowns). They use entirely different networking protocols, languages, security algorithms, physical networks, sat's, etc etc. That includes high level government transmissions.... I know this. I was in the military. These guys are hardcore.2. The boogey man tactic of saying that a errant virus can shutdown the electric grid is BS. Last I heard it still takes a man, or woman, to open that valve or throw that switch, at a power plant.3. The FCC has been openly attacking the internet since day 1 of obama's inauguration. Control the information, Control the sheeple....4. And most important who the fuc*'s business is it that the government has a say in how to control a *PRIVATE* Network?????? Last I heard, NONE.[/citation]

Wow this made me laugh. With the level of knowledge you just displayed here, if you WERE in the military (which I highly doubt) you must have been a dirty grunt or cook, because none, NONE of what you said is true.

The majority of DoD systems are based on off the shelf tech, the only thing they might have is some custom software for managing firewalls, proxies, and access permissions. But they use the industry standard on pretty much everything. Now SIPRNET and the like, those networks are secured by one tried and true method, a closed wide area network that has no connection to the world at large. Devices utilized on secret networks are not allowed to touch a mainstream net connections, have any form of WiFi, etc etc.

This I know because I had to manage my submarine's unclassed and classed networks. One never touched the other.

Anyway, its about time they started upping the ante on cyber defense. The US has been lagging behind for the past decade (most military machines are running Win2k), and gets attacked on a regular basis by the Chinese/Koreans. Hopefully its not too late to play catch up.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
People have been killing each other for BS reasons since the dawn of humanity. I think the sheeple that blindly follow the suicide bomber motto just need a wake up call. Give them the means to completely eradicate themselves. After a few nuclear suicide bombers destroy half the middle east, the remaining people would beat extremists to death with their fists to protect their homes and families.

Let them leave such a sour taste on their history and such a horrible stigma associated with terrorism that to speak the words Al-Qaeda is to sentence yourself to death. Since 9/11 how many of you would rather try to kill a plane hijacker with your shoelaces or die trying, than sit in your seats on a hijacked plane? Ask Germans what happens to Nazi's or people showing a swastika in Germany...

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Yeah, well first actually take into consideration the gravity of the threat that said hacker is posing...and not just begin targeting 15 year-olds who just torrent movies and music. Then again, that's not really a hacker, but my point is really assess the situation before you decide to take a damn n00b tube to their computer.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]The vast majority of the traffic on the DISN Core (aka - the DoD private network that is world wide) is plain old TCP/IP traffic man...that is unclassified (NIPRnet), secret (SIPRnet), and top secret (JWICS) data all flying around in standard networking protocols....not sure where you got that they use custom protocols. Encryption yes, redefining network design and behavior, no[/citation]

I was wondering when someone was going to correct him.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]Osama style??? Will we have to wait 10 years for it to happen?[/citation]

Well the hackers will be alert and prepared so we shall wait a decade luring them into a false sense of security and then BAM! We shoot them in the face!

irtehyar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
[citation][nom]dfusco[/nom]Hackers???No, no, no, send the military to take out the SPAMMERS then the world will be a better place.[/citation]

I've always been an advocate of resurrecting public stonings just for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS