U.S. Government Tries to Stop Megaupload Successor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I agree with everyone saying that the US needs to stick to its own boarders. I am an American and i hate the Plutocracy that rules our country, it is like a plague. Understand the American citizen has almost no power over anything anymore, our elections serve almost no purpose.
We have let big government WAY over-reach.

-CB

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]a little black duck[/nom]If the RIAA has said that the biggest piracy threats are from China, India, and Russia. Why did they nail an 18yr old English kid, a 34yr old solo mother from Texas? and now trying to nail a fat German living in NZ?[/citation]

Because they're desperate. Attacking NZ is like kicking a disabled kid. You just don't do it....

On a side note, a big thank you to the countries(US included) that came to the rescue of Christchurch

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Love all the U.S. hate lol I don't agree with some of my governments actions, but there is no fool proof government. I feel that file sharing should be allowed, however you should not be able to profit from someone elses art, just saying. Look at Dotcom's house, he sure aint broke. As much as he denies it, this is a huge middle finger.

ashesofempires04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]Perhaps NZ should stop exporting milk? We produce about 1/3 of the words supply.NO MILK FOR YOU[/citation]

According to Wikipedia, New Zealand produces 17 million kg of milk in 2010, while the US produced 87 million kg. World production in total was 599 million kg. NZ also has one of the lowest average outputs per cow, at around 3k kg per cow, while the US produces closer to 10k kg per cow. NZ doesn't produce anything like 1/3rd of the world's milk.

As a US citizen, I agree that we should focus more on problems at home and less on making the rest of the world beholden to us. But it's not going to happen.

ibjeepr

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]Love all the U.S. hate lol I don't agree with some of my governments actions, but there is no fool proof government. I feel that file sharing should be allowed, however you should not be able to profit from someone elses art, just saying. Look at Dotcom's house, he sure aint broke. As much as he denies it, this is a huge middle finger.[/citation]

I'm sure they are going after people in those countries as well, not picking on NZ. I can't say I understand exactly what happened and why and I'm sure whatever information the general population there has that they are forming opinions based on probably isn't the whole story either. I'm not going to blanket defend any actions just saying you never know what the whole story may really be.

By the way. I hear NZ is beautiful. I had a friend visit there and LOVED it. I hope to visit some day myself.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ibjeepr[/nom]I'm sure they are going after people in those countries as well, not picking on NZ. I can't say I understand exactly what happened and why and I'm sure whatever information the general population there has that they are forming opinions based on probably isn't the whole story either. I'm not going to blanket defend any actions just saying you never know what the whole story may really be.By the way. I hear NZ is beautiful. I had a friend visit there and LOVED it. I hope to visit some day myself.[/citation]

Oh it's fantastic here, you'll love it :)

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]ibjeepr[/nom]I'm sure they are going after people in those countries as well, not picking on NZ. I can't say I understand exactly what happened and why and I'm sure whatever information the general population there has that they are forming opinions based on probably isn't the whole story either. I'm not going to blanket defend any actions just saying you never know what the whole story may really be.By the way. I hear NZ is beautiful. I had a friend visit there and LOVED it. I hope to visit some day myself.[/citation]Lord of the Rings movies can give you an idea...

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
That's the reason so many countries are now alligned with China, Russia, Pakistan and even Iran. Not like the whole world hates America but we know the US have been driven by corporations rather than the People...

tacobravo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Wow so much US hate. You guys in the world don't seem to think that someone stealing your stuff and selling it while making money is a bad thing? So its ok that someone finds your data somewhere and takes it all, uploads its to a file hosting site, makes money, and repeats. Thats not right so what gives people like this the right? Sure I have used Megaupload, guess what, for illegally downloading stuff. You know what, most of Megaupload is doing illegal activities. So if people/companies are doing what they can to protect their property, when why the FUCK does anybody have a problem? You people in other countries hate all over the US but you pirate movies, music, programs, etc that are from the US. Its sad really

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tacobravo[/nom]Wow so much US hate. You guys in the world don't seem to think that someone stealing your stuff and selling it while making money is a bad thing? So its ok that someone finds your data somewhere and takes it all, uploads its to a file hosting site, makes money, and repeats. Thats not right so what gives people like this the right? Sure I have used Megaupload, guess what, for illegally downloading stuff. You know what, most of Megaupload is doing illegal activities. So if people/companies are doing what they can to protect their property, when why the FUCK does anybody have a problem? You people in other countries hate all over the US but you pirate movies, music, programs, etc that are from the US. Its sad really[/citation]

Is it okay for the US to mislead the authorities of another country? Waste their tax payers money, steal the evidence needed in court and then race out of the country?

Yes, he hosted illegal items and he should be dealt to, but so does youtube & google etc

Fix problems in your own country before you start ruining others

bnl552

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]Wow aren't you mature! Perhaps NZ should stop exporting milk? We produce about 1/3 of the words supply.NO MILK FOR YOU[/citation]

Yeah but we don't import fresh milk, just powdered milk and that shit is toxic. I can do without the oxidized cholesterol thank you very much.

As far as us keeping to out of the business of other countries, I agree with you for the most part. Of course there have to be exceptions for national security and severe threats to our economy.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]tacobravo[/nom]Wow so much US hate. You guys in the world don't seem to think that someone stealing your stuff and selling it while making money is a bad thing? So its ok that someone finds your data somewhere and takes it all, uploads its to a file hosting site, makes money, and repeats. Thats not right so what gives people like this the right? Sure I have used Megaupload, guess what, for illegally downloading stuff. You know what, most of Megaupload is doing illegal activities. So if people/companies are doing what they can to protect their property, when why the FUCK does anybody have a problem? You people in other countries hate all over the US but you pirate movies, music, programs, etc that are from the US. Its sad really[/citation]there is nothing wrong with the Americans, its the authority thinks they are the law of the whole world/ above everyone else. Now thats not cool

Cantisque

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I still don't see how Megaupload was closed in the first place, sure it hosted pirated material, but they would willingly remove it if asked, which is no different to how Youtube operates...

timw03878

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]I'm from New Zealand. I can tell you that this whole dot com saga has blown up in the United States face, public opinion of the US is down, and the NZ PM is quite red faced over it due to the illegal ways that the information about Megaupload was collected(The GCSB is in a bit of trouble).Dotcom looks like he will win his court case and be able to stay in NZ(so far).NZ has very basic laws when it comes to copy right, the skynet law has fallen over too. Don't be too surprised if this "Mega" site pops up and stays On a personal note, I'd like to invite the US to stick to their own country. We're sick of you pushing us around and expecting us to bend over backwards for you. We are kiwis, not americans. We have kiwi laws, not american lawsLong story short, quit throwing your weight around and stick to your own borders[/citation]

Don't look at me dude.. I'm American and I can attest that there are soo many stupid people voting for the tyrannical political class in this country it would astound you.

People willfully voting their rights away.

Stay tuned into your news, your likely to see a revolt in the US within your lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.