U.S. Navy: Gamers Are Better Terrorist Fighters

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
The only problem with this is, you'll get guys running around with RPGs thinking they've got unlimited lives (although affects their K/D stats) if thinking they've got the stealth perks to run upto someone to knife him in the middle of open combat.

G

"We have to train people to be quick on their feet"
I bet you do - when you spent 6 hours a day playing FPS and doing nothing for your physique, you might be a "good thinker for those kind of problems" - a mindset these guys are looking for, but they are most certainly not looking for your physical abilities you have grown into over the time...

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
There is a good reason for America's Army, and it's not to give people free entertainment. It trains a certain mindset, and that's helpful in real life too. Of course, respawning is only rarely an option in real life.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
If only mobile suits were more tangible. Then we would have the Gundam Wing, Armored Core, and Mech Warrior people out there too! GODLIKE!

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
It's a pity these games aren't capable of teaching the dumbo's in office, just what the hell they're fighting for. Nah..come on guys, we don't want that; it's not profitable - no moral decisions here. Just lock 'n' load, send in the boyz and blast the crap out the 'immediate' enemy..that'll keep 'em happy for a few hours, and make them feel proud to be American's whilst millions die on both sides, amidst the devastation.

Games do, I feel, make first-rate combat operatives. But as anyone knows, the first rule of combat is to question just what you're actually fighting for, and whether you're prepared to risk losing everything in order to achieve your objectives. To the young, fit, eager and often angry young game 'soldier', such a moral stance is not always fourthcoming. Sorry if that's a bit off-track, just trying to look at the bigger picture. Maybe if we did we'd realize just who the real enemies in all this are, and just how volatile the situation actually is on the home front..

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Video games taught me this important lesson:

I don't want to be involved in a real gunfire.

Any random even can kill you, or disable for life.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Some cognitive skills totally improve, but defensiveness in real life is also grown by games; actually making people a little more afraid. Weird, eh?

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ethanolson[/nom]Some cognitive skills totally improve, but defensiveness in real life is also grown by games; actually making people a little more afraid. Weird, eh?[/citation]

Afraid.... or just more aware of the consequences of thier decisions?

Status
Not open for further replies.