U.S. Not Happy With Google Chairman's Visit to North Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well whatever the State Department has been doing for the past 50 years has done nothing but fail. So I would not be too concerned about what it thought.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
"Perhaps the most intriguing part of this trip is simply the idea of it," Cha said. "[Kim Jong Un] clearly has a penchant for the modern accoutrements of life. If Google is the first small step in piercing the information bubble in Pyongyang, it could be a very interesting development."

I don't quite see it as an "unhappiness" statement. In fact, to me it seems like the US is looking forward to the unfolding of this visit.

G

"There's speculation that these rockets – AKA international ballistic missiles – have the range to strike the west coast here in the States." If they can launch it to space, it can hit anywhere in the world. The media uses the "west coast" as a means to instil more fear into the western citizen. Our media's propaganda is no different than the north koreans, and most likely much less truthful.

"peaceful" space exploration program - What if it really is peaceful, and why the quotes around peaceful? Is north korea not entitled to their own space program? They did nothing illegal when they launched that satellite into space. If I was the north I would be doing the same thing as they are now. With the rest of the world out to get them how can you blame them?

G

Our Gov. should just STFU! It's plainly obvious that whatever the US gov. has done to improve relations with North Korea for decades has done absolutely zilch, as with Cuba. Sometimes you need to simply put your defenses down, in plain sight of the "enemy" and see how they react. The US gov. could stand to learn a thing or two from Mr. Schmidt.

danielravennest

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Maybe North Korea will be the next location for Google Fiber after Kansas City. Imagine what 1 Gbps internet would do to communist control :).

randomizer

Distinguished
North Korea is also in range of US ICBMs, and it will take far less of them to turn this relatively small country into rubble than the USA. On top of that, North Korea doesn't have a good track record of getting rockets far off the ground...

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]dragonfang18[/nom]How does North Korea have electricity to handle more computers? They cant even handle having lights at night.[/citation]
You have been VERY mislead...

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]danielravennest[/nom]Maybe North Korea will be the next location for Google Fiber after Kansas City. Imagine what 1 Gbps internet would do to communist control :).[/citation]
You have no grasp of what Communism even means, do you?

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
the state department is right to be worried. if a private business man can do a better job at international relations on his own dime, then the state department is obsolete along with their multi-billion $ budget.

Eric Schmidt, go make capitalism proud.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]danielravennest[/nom]Maybe North Korea will be the next location for Google Fiber after Kansas City. Imagine what 1 Gbps internet would do to communist control :).[/citation]

Two things.

1: You have no clue what communism actually is. None of the countries that called themselves communist have been actual communist countries.

2. How would that help them control people? People barely even have TVs of any kind in North Korea.....

If you were trying to tell a joke then at least not make it a fail.

speil

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Not representing the Obama Administration? What a surprise! What presumtuous language; obviously because Schmidt is not an elected official, but merely a corporate wog.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]gloriousleader[/nom]"There's speculation that these rockets – AKA international ballistic missiles – have the range to strike the west coast here in the States." If they can launch it to space, it can hit anywhere in the world. The media uses the "west coast" as a means to instil more fear into the western citizen. Our media's propaganda is no different than the north koreans, and most likely much less truthful."peaceful" space exploration program - What if it really is peaceful, and why the quotes around peaceful? Is north korea not entitled to their own space program? They did nothing illegal when they launched that satellite into space. If I was the north I would be doing the same thing as they are now. With the rest of the world out to get them how can you blame them?[/citation]

Space is only a few miles above earth. The West coast is quite a bit farther. I think your schizophrenia is kicking in. Our government's main job is to provide security and public services. This is a valid concern.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
On the off chance some of you will want to be educated on North Korea's "peaceful" programs, google North Korea border tunnel, and enjoy.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
AKA international ballistic missiles
Just another proof of Tom's Hardware becoming just another rubbish amateur "we don't know how to use copy/paste" faux tech news portal. Fifth line in the first paragraph of linked article from NYT should have given a clue to someone who isn't Apple fanboy what ICBM stands for. You know interCONTINENTAL ballistic missiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.