U.S. Senate Warns of Counterfeit Electronics in the Military

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
70 percent of the counterfeit hardware is believed to originate in China.

The reason they became the 2nd largest economy in the world?

They don't really care about human life, as long as they make money.

kingius

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
"how about actually creating manufacturing jobs in US so there will be accountability and tracking?" We have this exact same problem in Britain as well. Our leaders are idiots who couldn't tie their own shoe laces without help.

G

Who could have guessed. It was a well known fact in the mid 80's. I wonder how many lives have been lost because of malicious firmware or other computer parts......welcome to the new and frightening world of technology......

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]how about actually creating manufacturing jobs in US so there will be accountability and tracking?[/citation]
what makes you think that this will not happen if those electronics were made in the US?...if there is a will, there is a way to corrupt every process

ankhnext

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
70 percent of the counterfeit hardware is believed to originate in China.
The reason they became the 2nd largest economy in the world?
They don't really care about human life, as long as they make money.

The reason they(US) became the 1st largest economy in the world?
They don't really care about human life, as long as they make war.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
People don't realize that factories create a lot of middle income jobs in America that pay taxes to support the rich. The middle class in America starts at $23,500.00 to $25,000.00 depending on the statistics you prefer to accept. We need to demand true unemployment and underemployment numbers in America to see how the global economy is affecting American jobs. We also need labels that state what percentage of the product is made in your own country. The more foreign products one buys in America the more money is sent to foreign countries that don't pay American taxes. What stops all American companies to move their headquarters overseas, just like Halliburton, to avoid paying taxes if most of their workers are on foreign soil? What is happening here is happening to every country that supports sending their factories to communist and poor countries in order to extract a higher profit margin that in turn damages the economies of the great nations.

conflictofvisions

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
This topic appears on Tom’s regularly. As usual, most folks here are off base. I’ll try to explain why this happens. Yes, this is my first post to Tom’s.

Let say some weapons program needs a hardened, quad-input NAND that is no longer manufactured. I just picked a part off the top of my head. Some weapon systems currently in use still use parts that were manufactured in the 60s and 70s and are no longer produced, or no longer produced to the original specification. Without re-qualifying a part, which is expensive, they can must use that specific part or a recognized equivalent.

Congress mandates that a certain percentage of work go to ‘women or minority owned’ firms. This is one of many social engineering mandates from Congress. So the program goes into the govt’s parts database (FedLog, or whatever it is called now) and looks for an approved supplier. Some of these have the ‘women or minority owned’ box checked. They get the business.

These firms are mostly small businesses run out of someone’s garage. They have never produced anything in their lives. So they go to eBay or, if they speak Chinese, call over to some supplier/recycler that has these parts. They’ve never produced the parts either.

As most of these parts haven’t been manufactured in three or more decades, what they usually get is a recycled civilian electronics part that has been re-marked to the mil-spec markings. The govt receives these parts, and some drone puts them on a shelf in the same big warehouse where they keep the Ark and the aliens. These are the vast majority of the counterfeit parts cases. It is not that Boeing or Northrop or Lockheed are purposefully ordering cheap parts to save $.05 on the cost of a missile.

It is much harder to counterfeit currently produced items, where you have an intact, documented supply chain. Yes it can happen, it is just harder to do.

My $.03 (inflation). Feedback welcome.

G

I like how the miitary is complaining about getting FAKE CRAP FROM CHINA ROFLCOPTORCRASH. Got Economy?

oj88

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Counterfeit US dollars buy counterfeit hardwares. It is fare and square. Otherwise, our defense budget will be ballooned even more.

Don't blame China or other countries. Our labor structure can no longer produce those cheap nuts and bolts. However, we make more money by selling those F-16 fighter jets and missiles back to those countries. Same thing as Apple makes more money than Foxconn who manufactures all the Apple products. BTW, a Foxconn worker makes about $250 a month, like the old saying: A shoemaker cannot afford to wear the shoes he makes.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]how about actually creating manufacturing jobs in US so there will be accountability and tracking?[/citation]
There aren't very many Americans willing to work for the same wages that Chinese factory workers make. Would you be happy making $4/hour with no benefits?

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
This is going to be a daunting, if not impossible, task. Some of today's counterfeits are so well made that you could never tell the difference without an electron microscope or a chemical analysis. Are they planning to do this for every single chip and or component?

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I thought they go to the source and buy from them? Like buying PS3's so they can train using Call of Duty. They wouldn't go to Sony and buy it from them? What, they go on eBay or Craigslist or something?

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]The reason they became the 2nd largest economy in the world?They don't really care about human life, as long as they make money.[/citation]

I thought that US is the largest economy in the world still.

Status
Not open for further replies.