U.S. Senators Propose Internet Sales Tax Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
So.. it seems like if this horrible plan were to be passed, certain areas would suffer greatly, being forced to charge up to 4-5% more than if people were to buy from a state with low sales tax.

Play it off as 'defense of brick and mortar' businesses, but really its just hurting business all around. laissez-faire or bust

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Yet another money grab in the name of being fair! Thanks for snuffing out online businesses! How about remove the brick and mortar sales tax if you want to be fair?

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
While this may have some merit I highly doubt the initiative for this proposal is not about States being able to rake in the $$...

ATIWOLF

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Quick, someone go let the republicans out of their cage! Sic em boys.

For the most part, I wouldn't mind. Some online shops (Barnes & Noble) allow for frequent cuponing that essentially take care of any taxes charged. I don't mind tax as long as it's used in a way we can approve of. Don't pass this until you establish a more efficient and responsible budget.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I buy stuff online because I can afford to. Tax it and maybe I'll choose to not afford to. If you want to see my spending after California upped taxes to nearly 10% vs. the years prior. You'll see this state lost money on tax revenues collected from my purchases. I'll gladly not buy stuff I don't need to avoid taxation.

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Isn't the law already that you are supposed to list all online orders on your yearly tax return and pay the tax on them? So this law would just redirect the taxes the the state from which the merchandise was sold?

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Big problem with sales taxes is that they are extremely regressive - they place a much larger tax burden on the poorer segments of the population than they do the wealthier ones. As such, the Republicans would likely support this, since tax breaks for the rich are a central plank of their agenda. I'm with ATIWOLF - they shouldn't get access to more tax revenue until they can demonstrate that what they already have is being spent responsibly.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
There's just one catch: In order to do so, states would need to have signed on to one of two 'simplified' tax plans.

When simplified mean more complicated... morons: It's because of practice like that that the middle class people get screwed over.

We need a tax reform: too many disguised taxes. Get rid of some and keep sale tax and income. Then learn how to do a budget. That the way population lives every day

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
here is a good one........what's up with these idiots? do they still receive full benefits after just one term? our government is so corrupt

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Pay more tax, support more wars, bailout more currupt buisness, pay the fat cats in the goverment, they need you so they can spend you money !! Cone on, isn't it fun to pay tax so that people in goverment and their friend can be right? While the large corporations get all the breaks, the average consumer has to sell their sole.

G

"Currently, sales taxes on online transactions are prohibited due to a 1992 U.S. Supreme Court decision, Quill Corp. v. North Dakota..."

I know for a fact that this isn't completely correct. I've been charged tax when ordering from major retail stores websites plenty of times. It may not be required, but it's definitely not prohibited.

G

Always give me a warm, fuzzy feeling when I read about our law-makers trying to find ways around the laws. Can you say, hypocrites!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]"Currently, sales taxes on online transactions are prohibited due to a 1992 U.S. Supreme Court decision, Quill Corp. v. North Dakota..."I know for a fact that this isn't completely correct. I've been charged tax when ordering from major retail stores websites plenty of times. It may not be required, but it's definitely not prohibited.[/citation]
You are usually taxed when the online retailer has a warehouse in the state you are ordering from. If they don't have a warehouse you don't get taxed.

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
"There's just one catch: In order to do so, states would need to have signed on to one of two 'simplified' tax plans."

Ah, the drinking age increase all over again.

10th amendment? What's that?

Status
Not open for further replies.