Ubisoft: 3DS Can Handle Unreal Engine 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Well to be fair, all of the devices listed either cost much more than the 3DS upfront or they require lengthy contracts that will set you back a total of few thousand dollars...

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Well to be fair, all of the devices listed either cost much more than the 3DS upfront or they require lengthy contracts that will set you back a total of few thousand dollars...[/citation]
and the games are crap which is the major point...and the 3DS wins since the games tend to be better

G

Don't quote me on this but I recall hearing that the major reason for UE3 not working on the 3DS has to do with programmable shaders. The GPU on the 3DS uses fixed function shaders, which if memory serves, Nintendo chose due to battery concerns regarding more powerful GPUs that use programmable shaders. I believe this is also true for the Wii.

G

So what? Nintendo has never been about power, and all about innovation. Innovation > power, any day.

G

lol what a piece. Now I know I will stick with my iPod touch.

D

Deleted member 410608

[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]So what? Nintendo has never been about power, and all about innovation. Innovation > power, any day.[/citation]
If they want to keep up with the current market, they'll have to change that strategy.

tonewheelmonster

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
if they want to keep up with the current market, they'll have to change that strategy.

Really? Isn't that apples big push this time? post pc market, specs don't matter and all that jazz. All you have to do is go back and look at how nintendo always dominates with sales in most every market they enter to realize how wrong you are. Really they are a software company if you think about it and they have an uncanny ability to optimize the software they make to run on their sometimes lower hardware.

G

[citation][nom]tonewheelmonster[/nom]Really? Isn't that apples big push this time? post pc market, specs don't matter and all that jazz. All you have to do is go back and look at how nintendo always dominates with sales in most every market they enter to realize how wrong you are. Really they are a software company if you think about it and they have an uncanny ability to optimize the software they make to run on their sometimes lower hardware.[/citation]

I think the Wii sales speak otherwise...

G

[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]I think the Wii sales speak otherwise...[/citation]
Sorry tonewheel, I meant to reply that too Shihabyooo.

Hindesite

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Unreal Engine 2, while no where near as impressive as UE3, is quite a versatile graphics engine. With clever artists, developers should be able to make some good looking games, especially when viewed on a screen that small. Chaos Theory was UE2 and that Splinter Cell game looked beautiful.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"In fact, the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 3 and 4, and a number of recent Android smartpohnes can run the engine without a hitch. Nintendo's new 3DS system apparently cannot."
And once again Nintendo releases crappy hardware.

jestern

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I am beyond tired of portable handhelds being compared to the smart phone gaming market segment. What in the h*ll is wrong with these smart phone owners?!? I really really think there's some segment of the brain's physiology damaged or inpaired by the radio waves from the device that the scientists and doctors aren't aware of which is seriously crippling their brain functions.

Do they think everyone can afford to or wants to plop down $400+ dollars for a device (Or pay $200 and a $50+ recurring monthly fee under contract, to play shallow and repetitive games without physical controls and lackluster developer support?!

Anyone else miss the 80's and 90's when games were targeted towards and made by the gaming geeks who actually loved playing them and not the mass of casual-playing air-heads who think everyone should listen to whatever dross falls from their mouths?

Something needs to be done about the cult of Apple is all I'm saying. I wouldn't be surprised if in 20-30 years it becomes a semi-official religion along the lines of Scientology. All they need is for Steve Jobs' body to spontaneously disappear from the morgue and then all hell is going to break lose.

If you're a smart phone owner/Apple 'enthusiast' and you think it's the greatest invention since the wheel, then I'm sorry, you have a problem as not everyone believes or shares your 'enthusiam'.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
UE2 is getting pretty old. Can't the PSP already do this? Some of the games available on it are graphically impressive.

So yah, I would hope that the 3DS could handle UE2. And like others have said, there are already mobile devices that can handle UE3. So, the fact that the 3DS can handel the UE2 engine isn't all that earth shattering.

techhedz

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
3DS cost $101 USD to manufacture. They are turning a huge profit compared to most systems who make most their money on games. That's the reason the reason the hardware sucks so much. They are out there to make money and yes they are more innovative in their game design so far but apple may bite them in their ass eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.