Ubisoft: Project Cafe Is Really Fantastic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]Well, it doesn't actually matter if people use their devices after they've bought them or not, take Kinect for example. The sales are what counts.Nintendo have been ultra-successful this gen, but I don't know how they'll do next generation.It's good to hear this from Ubisoft.Project Cafe being able to match 5 year old tech (PS3/360) is nothing to be surprised about, but definitely nothing to brag about either.So yes, I'd say 360/PS3 games would port well. I'd rather see some new games than just ports all the time though.This year's E3 conference is going to be mighty interesting indeed.[/citation]

First it will not match 5 year old Tech

the Xbox 360 is what i will use as example

the 360 runs a IBM Tri-core dual threads per core CPU @3.2ghg based on the Power 5 chip while Project Cafe would be i assume based on the newest Power 7 based chips that do 4 threads per core

also the GPU in the 360 is based on early R500 chip while PC would be using an custom R700 chip much newer also we could assume it may have 2gb of ram or more in the system

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]as a business they were successful, but they still didn't capture any long term audiences. most wii owners i know have their wiis collecting dust. really pitiful actually. in that sense, they failedi think what most people are trying to say is that nintendo cant have another gimmicky system. they wont be as lucky[/citation]
Sort of what we'll see with tablets in two years or so

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I do wish Nintendo well, BUT I feel they will forever be geared toward the family and kids (12 and under). This is not to say they will have crappy games, but more of the platform type (Mario, Link, etc), Mario64 is still in my top 5 all time games. MS seems to be trying to bridge that gap of family games (especially with the Wii avatar look) and the hardcore. Sony has been leaning more to the hardcore, with some family stuff thrown in. PC market is straight cutting edge, and the elite. :) I feel all have their place. Other than the PC, consoles are in much need of a refresh. I know there is still good games to be had, but looking at the tech side, cell phones and tablets are nearly as powerful as the current gen.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Nintendo knows how to engineer a great product (one that sells). Whether it will appeal to hardcore gamers (and whether hardcore gamers use consoles anyway) is another matter...

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Watch them blow our minds like they did w/ N64. :)

Doubtful, especially if they're only looking to slightly best current console's hardware (which are CRAP).

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I don't think that 3D power will be the selling point. They will have enough 3D horsepower to drive current PS3 / Xbox360 games, that's the point, not beating them. I think the point it's having something else than the competition and anything less...

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]They were hoping to try the apple approach of "Brainwash them into buying it, even if its crap" but with the recent problems they have had, I think they are now looking at an add campaign based on "Lightning never strikes the same place twice!"[/citation]

"Brainwash them into buying it, even if its crap? well that is what MS did with the 360 and all the hardware failures proved that

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
oh come on guys remember that consoles get like over 10x times the performance out of their hardware than we do out of our pc since they optimize their titles for that specific console.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
The one thing thing the dated tech in consoles has done is made developers much more efficient. I think the truth is, the hardware is often not the hangup, but it's the skills and imagination of the developers and the developing platform. You could throw the most advanced hardware at game developers and have them make games for it, but the hardware DOESN'T make great games or great graphics. It's the skills of the folks using it.

I have been an avid PC gamer for years and about a year ago I broke down and got a xbox 360. I was amazed to see some games ( I think of Gears of War 2, Allan Wake etc.) that were on-par graphically with anything on the PC. 5 year old technology that could play great looking games compared to a high-end a PC that cost a lot more.

The sad thing is when these magnificently optimized console games are ported to PC, they usually run like complete garbage. So as much as the console market has spawned some amazing talent, the PC gaming market it still defintely suffering as a result. I would say in 90% of the games developed for XBOX/PS3/PC that the PC is always the last on the list in order of importance to the game companies. Having said all that, this new Wii has the potential to be awesome. But it needs to be WAY WAY better than the current Wii.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Hey look another console that will become obsolete in a few years and force you to buy the next generation of console for ridiculous amounts.

No thanks, I'll stick to my computer.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]macewrox[/nom]Hey look another console that will become obsolete in a few years and force you to buy the next generation of console for ridiculous amounts.No thanks, I'll stick to my computer.[/citation]

Computers used for gaming, the only device known that costs practically nothing and never becomes obsolete.
Wait a second....

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Everyone just needs to stop compairing thier PC to a gaming console.
1. In all the history of gaming consoles they never have as much RAM as a PC in that generation. It doesn't need as much cause it's not running programs and huge speadsheets and a massive operating system.
2. The CPU is a PowerPC CPU. It's not an Intel x86 and it doesn't function the same way and may not be designed to run the same code. Also the number of cores doesn't have to be as many as the XBox (for example) to get better performance.
Example: If I offered you the choice of an older pentium dual core or a new Core i5 dual core. You'd pick the i5... Why? cause it's new and FASTER despite being the same clock speed and having the same number of cores. Now I don't know about you people but I'm not a PowerPC CPU expert and I doubt you are either. For all I know the Power 7 chips may be 3 times faster then the Power 5 chips and just maybe that new dual core CPU could be faster than a triple core CPU running at a higher clock rate. Lastly, how much CPU a game uses HIGHLY depends on programming. GTA 4 needs TONS of CPU because it was made that way. Other games rely heavily on the GPU performance.
3. The GPU is a great choice. I happen to use that GPU and I play games in 1080p all the time. For everyone's information all they mentioned was the series. It might be as fast or faster than a 4890 which gets the SAME PERFORMANCE as a 5830. We don't really know what the clock rate will be... Perhaps it will be above the capability of a 5830 more like a 5850. I bet if you knew it would be that fast you'd all stop complaining. I don't think direct x matters cause I'm not convinced they even use that API especially since it's a product made by the competition. And for the guy that asked... YES, it will play crysis. I've already used it to play through all of crysis 1 and I'm gonna get crysis 2.

What you people need to remember is that these consoles aren't designed to run a big heavy operating system and all the different programs in many different programming languages like a PC, therefore they can run quite well with less.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Hey, considering the PS3 is slated to last a decade, the refreshed Wii might pack enough power to compete with the other two...

And in the meantime, PC gamers suffer due to neglect and console domination.

Status
Not open for further replies.