UEFI blues - laptop can't boot into an OS by itself

wekilledkenny

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Hi everybody

I have a Samsung NV355V4C laptop, which came with Windows 7 HP. I had failed to see an option during an install of linux, and formatted the HDD fully - meaning that the recovery partition, as well as the EFI partition are both gone. No big deal I thought - all files are backed up, I installed Ubuntu 13.10, then I downloaded a copy of Windows 7 HP from Microsoft's own website, installed it, and then the problem hit me:
The laptop doesn't boot into either OS! It just "hangs" at the splash screen. The problem has a workaround - upon turning on the laptop, I have about 3 seconds to hit F10 key (which selects bootable device), and select an OS of choice, and then it easily boots into either Ubuntu or Windows. But if I fail to hit the F10, I have to power off the laptop in order for it to do anything. My guess is that the BIOS had "lost" the EFI boot partition, although it can "see" it no problem in the boot selection! It's workable, but a little annoying. Samsung's "solution" is to send it to service (for a fee of course), which I'm not going to do for my workhorse laptop - never mind the money, I prefer to use my own laptop at school (which seems zippier than the i5's we have in the labs), plus I can use school's computer's screen(s) with a HDMI cable, which comes in handy when debugging/programming while looking up reference materials. I even use it at home in the same fashion, only using the desktop to play games, since the power draw difference is incredible and not needed for any of the school work (yet). Does anyone know how to get into the full BIOS of the Samsung's laptops, or any other workaround that can fix it?

PS: I'm really happy with the laptop itself, I can play SC2-HOTS on medium at 1080P, and it handles well even in 4v4 battles. Samsung, however, has been much less than stellar with their support - their techs told me that I cannot use SSD, cannot install a 2nd drive into a ODD-to-HDD caddy, and when I upgraded RAM the day I got the laptop, they told me that the warranty could be void, even though I had to remove a grand total of one single Phillips screw to accomplish that.

Solution
that is very strange indeed. did you delete all partitions before performing the format? if not, do so. you will want to delete all of the partitions, create a new one(s) and then format.

if you haven't tried updating the bios firmware, do so.

it is very unlikely as this would be the first time i've heard of a bios requiring the original recovery partitions to boot properly. do go through the bios and look for recovery related options to disable them.

EDIT: Of course you will lose all of your data when deleting partitions so backup if there is anything to backup.

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
go into bios and change the boot order so that the hard drive boots first.

then change the hard drive boot order so that the hard drive you installed the 2nd os to is booted first.

wekilledkenny

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

This is a laptop, so there is only one drive (And yes, I know there are laptops with multiple HDDs, but not this one, not yet at least). Changing the order of boot all yields the same result - laptop stuck on boot-up splash screen, no matter what.

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
that is very strange indeed. did you delete all partitions before performing the format? if not, do so. you will want to delete all of the partitions, create a new one(s) and then format.

if you haven't tried updating the bios firmware, do so.

it is very unlikely as this would be the first time i've heard of a bios requiring the original recovery partitions to boot properly. do go through the bios and look for recovery related options to disable them.

EDIT: Of course you will lose all of your data when deleting partitions so backup if there is anything to backup.

Solution

wekilledkenny

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

None of this applied even one bit...

It can see the HDD OK, but not the SSD. The solution is cludgy - get into BIOS as soon as the laptop is booted, then get out of it, then automagically the laptop sees the SSD and boots from it like it should... When you go to BIOS the second time it sees both drives OK now. WTF Sammy?