Uh oh: Verizon Dropping Unlimited Data Plans Too?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Verizon and just about every [citation][nom]posteris[/nom]I don't understand whats wrong in USA. Here in Europe you can use uncapped hi-speed internet almost everywhere. At home 100mbps or 1gbps fiber optics (of course there is places forgotten by god, but they're disappearing fast), every bigger mall or bar has free wi-fi zones. Even outside you can find tons of unprotected wireless networks with good connection speeds. If you want to be on the move, there is wimax. You get up to 1-2mbps connection even 10-15km outside of town, and sometimes 5+ mbps if you're near a tower. Costs 15-30euro and it's uncapped of course. Just have any device (phone, laptop or pc) that has wi-fi connection.[/citation]

Well you probably live in a country the size of my living room.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
So .. if AT&T , and Verizon et al are going to limit dataplans .. MAY I SUGGEST ONE THING: Stop advertising for "episodes of your favorite shows" on Vcast and for crying out loud UPDATE YOUR FREAKIN NETWORK ...

jkay69

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I notice that all the latest smartphones just out or comming out are progressing to 720p HD playback and over time I could imagine this will increase to 1080p and beyond. This means that online video clips will adopt HD formats to cater for the increasing demand for HD content. Also games with better graphics and HD cut scenes will follow, not to mention bigger apps to make use of more powerfull processors and better graphics support. Add to this Cloud computing where all apps, games and even OS will be streamed to the devices over the internet and you've got the recipe for larger and larger bandwidth requirements on mobile devices.

Just now 1GB per month seems generous to most but over time this will become ludicrously little. If data plans don't increase with data usage then it could become mightily expensive to use the 'Features' of the latest and greatest handsets out there.

I hardly use the internet on my phone, mild browsing, the odd app download, I watch a few funny Youtube videos and update the OS and software on my phone periodically and currently my 1GB is more than enough. but I could see that if I got an EVO 4G I'd use the net much more, I'd want to watch HD videos, the games and apps are all bigger, I'm not so sure my 1GB allowance would be enough.

I do think that trully unlimited downloading on a mobile network is unfeasable at a low cost but as long as they make plans that cater for low, medium, high and extreme data usage with prices suitable for the market and refresh the allowances regularly enough it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Unlimited for all for free is unfeasable, fair structured plans based on average use in each of the categories makes much more sense in the long run.

Just my 2 cents :)

JKay6969

batman4u

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
ITS all about greed, CERN 2 years ago said internet is way way overpriced and that the reason they are working ina better interface called "the GRID" which is ten tiimes faster and something i couldnt understand why companies couldnt overprice it

G

I've decided that Verizon has a massive advertising budget and a tiny service/product improvement one. They hypnotize everyone with their very cool ads into thinking they have a good product, so that's what we all do -- think they have a product worth the ungodly prices they charge -- and they have a horrible product. It's expensive and it's unreliable. And we gobble it up like the brainwashed fools we've all become. Some of us know enough to resent it -- but they've got us by the short hairs. You can't survive without wireless any more. And there is effectively no competition. We're all captive rabbits. There is no choice. No competition. None.

They lure us into long-term contracts by giving away those few ounces of plastic and silicon they call "phones" which they charge hundreds of dollars for sans contract. They render those little hunks of junk obsolete every year or so so we'll think we have to spend a couple hundred more on the next new plastic & silicon toy they come up with. Those phones are the epitome of everything that's wrong with the world. Find a Stromberg-Carlson phone from the 50's and compare it to your Droid or your iPhone. One is a work of solid, well-designed, well-built industrial age art that will still be working in the year 2525 -- if Verizon and AT&T don't succeed in removing the option of landline service from the buying public forever. They are vastly superior to wireless phones in every conceivable way except portability and I don't see why we can't have both options in our so-called capitalistic, free-market society. The whole thing blows.

It's impossible to discuss our wireless "service" (huge misnomer -- should be our wireless captivity) with anyone who has the power to render any satisfaction regarding any issue other than technical assistance because there isn't anyone on their payrolls or in their "service" centers besides pushy, obnoxious salespeople and underpaid, outsourced tech experts whose English is difficult to understand despite their beautiful manners and outstanding qualifications. Aside from the maddening experience talking to them is for Verizon and AT&T's customers, their lives must be a living hell. I feel so sorry for those people. They've been trained to apologize profusely, and constantly, for everything. I wonder why that is? Could it be because the people they have to talk to are universally, and justifiably, furious? God what a horrible job. Average tenure must be about 20 minutes.

Their landline service is the ugly red-headed stepchild of their product lineup. They don't want to be bothered with landline -- and with the prices we are all talking here about for these wireless bells and whistles they've managed to convince us we must have, you can see why. Compared to landline, wireless is next to no maintenance and a massive profit margin. And why should they worry about their landline product anyway. They've got a government-sanctioned monopoly. They don't have to worry about competition -- remember competition? that free-market remedy for all these ills? It's dead. Dead and buried. Especially for their captive landline customers. There isn't any competititon to speak of. We will pay their ungodly prices for either their awful landline product or their awful wireless one and we'll like it -- or we will not have either one. The smattering of alternative providers is a joke -- and that's no accident either. There are precious few of them, their pricing is almost identical, and their service is at least as bad.

AT&T isn't any better than Verizon. They are identical twins. Both companies are two corporate monsters of the first order -- and with Congress' help, they have eliminated any and all competition. Forget their inflated prices and crappy service for their wireless products. Just try to get landline service in an area where one of those two monsters operate. You'll get nowhere. And believe it or not, lots of people would like to keep their landline service, for lots of excellent reasons. And whether or not they "should" want landline isn't the point. If they want it, they should be able to buy it. But IF they want it, they WILL buy it from one of the two monsters who offer it, and if either monster does a terrible job, which they will, the days of "I'll take my business elsewhere" are gone. There is no elsewhere.

Where are the trustbusters when we need them?

[citation][nom]Battered Bruised Abused and Left Fo[/nom]..something something something...citation]

Since you seem to be in the mood to rant.. i'll offer you some counterpoints to let sink into that noggin of yours.

- You can easily survive without a cellphone. Its a want not a need.
- All of the major wireless companies have large advertising departments and a hefty monthly charge. To blame vw alone is pointless. Also, reliability depends on coverage.
- Verizon is a service provider, not a phone manufacturer. Blame LG, Samsung, Sony-Ericson, etc for phone issues.
- Most consumers want to upgrade every few years because of the new tech released. Why design a phone to last 25 when it will be used for under 5? I see your point but this does not apply to the majority here.
-I have verizon myself and I actually like the company. Also, their tech support (at least that I talked with) is located here in the USA. They seemed very kind and curteous when I talked with them.
- You can get other landline service providers in your area. VW may own the lines, but other companies can "rent" them to cover your area.
- I agree that the pricing models are high, but they are in line with most other phone companies. If you truley want cheap phone go with vonage or another VOIP phone (highspeed connection required)

------------

To sum it up: wireless is completely optional. If you do want it, but hate to foot the bill: go with tracfone. Reliable coverage for under $10/month

It seems that you just hate cellphones in general; if so, do not own one. Simple as that.

I like having the ability to surf the web, talk, and be able to receive/make calls in an emergency. I will admit that I would feel awkward without one, but it definitely is not required.

2c.

flachet

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Verizon Wireless! We don't lead the pack, we follow the heard!

It makes me think of the old saying. If AT&T jumped off a bridge would you jump off a...Hey, get back here.

I love my Droid and Verizon service but news like this just makes me want to start looking at another carrier.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Even ifyou people only use 150mb a month, as the mobile web gets more robust and flash is added to phones you're going to continue using exponentially more and more as time goes on. Getting stuck in a 200mb plan now is a bad, bad idea.

I use 3gb+ every month. First month I had a Droid was like 5.5.

Think of the future.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Told ya so. I have relatives who work at Verison, and knew this was comming down sooner rather then later. I also know that FIOS expansion is stopping soon, and the unprofitable [read: Non NY/DC markets] parts of teh network could be sold...

NivenFres

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
They had talked about this a couple months ago, before AT&T even did their swap. Why is everyone surprised by this?

Note: I just switched to Verizon and the Droid last week.

mage182

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Just another way for the phone companies to "compete" for business. And when I say "compete" I mean "another way to screw the customers out of more money for less product".

Way to take a step backwards.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]posteris[/nom]I don't understand whats wrong in USA. [/citation]

Nothing is wrong. We just don't enjoy giving 50% + of our money in taxes to subsidize things like this. Obviously it's OK in Europe. We decided to stop doing it about 234 years ago :)

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]rmmil978[/nom]Please don't quote something about the Holocaust and make a reference to cell phone data plans. Seriously.[/citation]

Yeah. That's totally a Hitler move.

Godwin, we hardly knew ye.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Instead of cutting the amounts that you can use, they need to start focusing on UPGRADING THEIR NETWORKS to handle the extra usage.

To blurr91, those two standards are NOT because of government interference. They are because the phone companies couldn't agree on what to include and what to leave out in their specs for phones.

reichscythe

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]The US is a much larger region. We also have 2 competing phone standards (GSM and CDMA) thanks to government interference. Everything contributes to added cost.[/citation]

Um... you do realize the EU has more than double the population of the United States, right? Oh, wait... based on your comment, clearly you don't... Sure the US may have more "land area" than Europe but we're talking about data usage here, not stretching out hundred of square miles of traditional phone lines: the important factor is the number of humans actively using the networks. Moreover, when you make statements implying US government "interference" is the source of our low-tech communication and behind-the-curve bandwidth issues, when Europe, in general, has MORE government regulation across the economic board, you sound like a bit of a tool.

[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]Nothing is wrong. We just don't enjoy giving 50% + of our money in taxes to subsidize things like this. Obviously it's OK in Europe. We decided to stop doing it about 234 years ago[/citation]

Yeah, we decided to stop giving money to taxes so that, some Americans can preach about how lofty our economic system/tax code is, while the rest of us are frustrated to the point of filling up internet forums with complaints about "things like this"...

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Battered Bruised Abused and Left Fo[/nom]I've decided that Verizon has a massive advertising budget and a tiny service/product improvement one. They hypnotize everyone with their very cool ads into thinking they have a good product, so that's what we all do -- think they have a product worth the ungodly prices they charge -- and they have a horrible product. It's expensive and it's unreliable. And we gobble it up like the brainwashed fools we've all become. Some of us know enough to resent it -- but they've got us by the short hairs. You can't survive without wireless any more. And there is effectively no competition. We're all captive rabbits. There is no choice. No competition. None.They lure us into long-term contracts by giving away those few ounces of plastic and silicon they call "phones" which they charge hundreds of dollars for sans contract. They render those little hunks of junk obsolete every year or so so we'll think we have to spend a couple hundred more on the next new plastic & silicon toy they come up with. Those phones are the epitome of everything that's wrong with the world. Find a Stromberg-Carlson phone from the 50's and compare it to your Droid or your iPhone. One is a work of solid, well-designed, well-built industrial age art that will still be working in the year 2525 -- if Verizon and AT&T don't succeed in removing the option of landline service from the buying public forever. They are vastly superior to wireless phones in every conceivable way except portability and I don't see why we can't have both options in our so-called capitalistic, free-market society. The whole thing blows.It's impossible to discuss our wireless "service" (huge misnomer -- should be our wireless captivity) with anyone who has the power to render any satisfaction regarding any issue other than technical assistance because there isn't anyone on their payrolls or in their "service" centers besides pushy, obnoxious salespeople and underpaid, outsourced tech experts whose English is difficult to understand despite their beautiful manners and outstanding qualifications. Aside from the maddening experience talking to them is for Verizon and AT&T's customers, their lives must be a living hell. I feel so sorry for those people. They've been trained to apologize profusely, and constantly, for everything. I wonder why that is? Could it be because the people they have to talk to are universally, and justifiably, furious? God what a horrible job. Average tenure must be about 20 minutes.Their landline service is the ugly red-headed stepchild of their product lineup. They don't want to be bothered with landline -- and with the prices we are all talking here about for these wireless bells and whistles they've managed to convince us we must have, you can see why. Compared to landline, wireless is next to no maintenance and a massive profit margin. And why should they worry about their landline product anyway. They've got a government-sanctioned monopoly. They don't have to worry about competition -- remember competition? that free-market remedy for all these ills? It's dead. Dead and buried. Especially for their captive landline customers. There isn't any competititon to speak of. We will pay their ungodly prices for either their awful landline product or their awful wireless one and we'll like it -- or we will not have either one. The smattering of alternative providers is a joke -- and that's no accident either. There are precious few of them, their pricing is almost identical, and their service is at least as bad.AT&T isn't any better than Verizon. They are identical twins. Both companies are two corporate monsters of the first order -- and with Congress' help, they have eliminated any and all competition. Forget their inflated prices and crappy service for their wireless products. Just try to get landline service in an area where one of those two monsters operate. You'll get nowhere. And believe it or not, lots of people would like to keep their landline service, for lots of excellent reasons. And whether or not they "should" want landline isn't the point. If they want it, they should be able to buy it. But IF they want it, they WILL buy it from one of the two monsters who offer it, and if either monster does a terrible job, which they will, the days of "I'll take my business elsewhere" are gone. There is no elsewhere.Where are the trustbusters when we need them?[/citation]
I just gave you a negative because your rant was so dang long! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS