UK Tests Firefighting Motorbikes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
2x25L = 50kg. Imagine what that will do to the handling and maneuverability of the motorcycles. These motorcycles will be slow, sluggish, bulky, and generally- not very nimble AT ALL. They're better off getting pickup trucks like another guy said.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]2x25L = 50kg. Imagine what that will do to the handling and maneuverability of the motorcycles. These motorcycles will be slow, sluggish, bulky, and generally- not very nimble AT ALL. They're better off getting pickup trucks like another guy said.[/citation]
not particularly. My dad owns one of these, the r1200rt, (civilian version), and it is almighty powerful. with me on the back (about 65kg) it still does 0-100 in about 3.4-3.5 seconds. handling wise my dad says he barely notices the added weight. Note, the bike itself weighs 230Kg, and the engine produces 110HP.

this bike is monster.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

Which is quite a bit less than the 330kg of my Pan, which is not not particularly slow or cumbersome either.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
THis is a great way to save on resources. I've a few friends that work for the fire dept. and half the time (I pulled that number out of the air, but its appreciable amount none-the-less) they are called out, its not a fire, but some minor injury or whatever else that doesn't warrant a police or ambulence response. Bike would save on gas, amortization of the fire trucks, traffic, pretty much anyway you look at it, good idea. Bring it to the States!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Status
Not open for further replies.