Tyler_19

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015
Ok so im new here. Anyways I want to be able to build a 2in1 laptop or maybe i dont, but has anyone ever constructed their own case for a laptop. I feel like its a cool idea and would be very hard or wouldnt be idk. If i was to somehow get a 2 in 1 laptop and disesemble it, upgrade the thing into a beast and then try to essble it if it ends up not fotting the case which it most likely would would i be able to just cut the case and use spare parts from other cases to make it all fit and work good without over heating or is that outta question? Because i really want a good gaming computer and laptop but i was thinking why cant i jut take the stream and upgrade it,or something. Pls don't bully me for my ambitious thinking

Solution
What you plan on doing is a bit too ambitious. Nearly all 2-in-1 laptops do not have any dedicated GPU. The only three that I am aware of are the ThinkPad Yoga 14, ThinkPad Yoga 15 and the Surface Book. However, the GPU is soldered into the motherboard and so is the CPU in these laptops. The same can be said for the vast majority of laptops except for specific models of gaming laptops that cost at $1,400.

While it is technically possible to upgrade a CPU and dedicated GPU that have been soldered into the motherboard you are going to run into some serious roadblocks which includes, but not limited to:

1. You need equipment to properly de-solder the hundreds of pins for both CPU and GPU to remove them from the motherboard. Then you...
What you plan on doing is a bit too ambitious. Nearly all 2-in-1 laptops do not have any dedicated GPU. The only three that I am aware of are the ThinkPad Yoga 14, ThinkPad Yoga 15 and the Surface Book. However, the GPU is soldered into the motherboard and so is the CPU in these laptops. The same can be said for the vast majority of laptops except for specific models of gaming laptops that cost at $1,400.

While it is technically possible to upgrade a CPU and dedicated GPU that have been soldered into the motherboard you are going to run into some serious roadblocks which includes, but not limited to:

1. You need equipment to properly de-solder the hundreds of pins for both CPU and GPU to remove them from the motherboard. Then you need to solder replacement CPU and GPU and ensure no pins are accidentally shorted together with solder.

2. You need to find some way purchase a CPU and GPU that would fit into the laptop. They must have the same BGA socket type.

3. You need to program a BIOS that will allow the chipset to recognize the new CPU and GPU. You have one shot at doing this right. If the BIOS is not updated correctly (a corrupt BIOS), then the laptop may not even work and the only way to fix the problem would be to replace the BIOS chip.

Solution