UMA graphics question!! on Asus i5 laptop!

kraizyswan

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Hey, I'm at best buy right now and they have an Asus i5 (k55-si50301p) for $399, and I was about to purchase... But my concern is the UMA graphics, the employees here say that its built into the motherboard and its basically garbage /no good ..I do NO GAMING... But, i DO edit full 1080p HD videos and pictures occasionally.. Will this Asus be okay for my needs?

Hi :)

Look at your other thread (my comments at the end)

And NO inbuilt graphics will be rubbish for you.... UMA means >>> SHARED MEMORY<<< so the graphics sort of steal the system ram to help the graphics....NOT the greatest idea in the world shall I say...lol

All the best Brett :)

kraizyswan

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

Well, it says that it is expandable to 8GB RAM.... if i were to do that, would it be okay? (also, approximately how much would it cost to add the extra 4GB RAM?)

[edit]--oh, and PS; thank you about the battery, I will keep it plugged in whenever possible!

Ah I think you missed my point....it steals system ram for graphics which is MUCH slower than graphics proper ram....so the graphics are AWFUL....no matter whether you have 4 or 8gb.....

As a general rule though, 8gb is a better choice...

kraizyswan

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

Hmmm, so even though I won't be doing any gaming, the UMA is still garbage for what I need? Forgive me for asking so many questions, I'm not very tech-savvy, but is it possible to add an additional graphics card? Or am i stuck with UMA no matter what?

No, you will be stuck with UMA ..no adding anything...

kraizyswan

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

Okay, I figured it was soldered onto the motherboard, but I wasn't sure if it was possible to add a secondary chip, So i thought i'd ask... ...Well, the only thing I do, graphics-wise, on my laptop is watch YouTube videos, and upload 1080p HD videos (short- couple minutes) and pictures of my kid and stuff to facebook.. the laptop is on sale $400 right now, today is the last day of the sale, so this is why i'm asking so much... but you don't think UMA graphics will be good enough for my videos and pictures and YouTube?

It will be fine for those two things.....but gaming is a no no...lol

kraizyswan

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Hey, so I purchased the K55-SI50301P.. turns out it has Intel hd 4000, not UMA.. the websites specs were wrong.. not only this computer, but at least 2 others had the wrong graphics listed as well.. thanks for your help tho! I appreciate it

Well... technically "UMA" in not wrong. However, using that term can be misleading.

UMA is not a specific graphics card. UMA generally stands for unified memory architecture. It indirectly refers to the fact that integrated graphics card uses the system RAM because it does not have any of its own integrated RAM. Therefore, whenever you come across the term UMA that is an indication of some sort of integrated graphics.

The Intel HD 4000 is the specific integrated graphics core for that particular laptop. All laptops with Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs have the Intel HD 3000 graphic core. All laptops with Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs have the Intel HD 4000 graphics core.